The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

A dandy syrah, etc.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

A dandy syrah, etc.

by Florida Jim » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:46 am

2008 Palmina, Tocai Friulano, Honea Vineyard:
Brine and floral aromas with some pretty white fruit scents; despite a roundness in the mouth it has good cut, flavors follow the nose in a lightweight, feminine package; good length. With a salad of fresh greens, it could not have shown better. 13.3% alcohol, from the Lompoc area and about $22 full retail. Yummy!

2008 Breton, Bourgueil Trinch!:
There’s some bright fruit here but the char and green bell pepper scents and flavors are just too strong for me. Neither Diane nor I want another glass. 12% alcohol.

2008 LaPierre, Vin de Pays des Gaules:
Smell of lilacs; has the weight and consistency of Kool-aid but is nicely flavored and thirst-quenching. 12.5% alcohol and meant for quaffing – which I was pleased to do.

2007 Rhys, Syrah Horseshoe Vnyd.:
Day one: closed; the only fruit I got at all was with food. (Re-corked and left on counter.)
Day two: much more open with broad-spectrum aromatics (meat, smoke, garrigue, plum and mineral salts; even better in the mouth where the flavors are more layered and the texture is like worsted wool, intense, concentrated, balanced and ever so long. (Re-corked and put in fridge.)
Day four: in full flower with an integrated nose of Baker’s chocolate, mineral and plum fruit; the best of CA and the Old World in the mouth, an almost Hermitage like delivery but backed with the power and structure that CA can produce when folks make the effort. Very concentrated, texturally soft but the fruit is bright and broad; no end to the finish. 13.9% alcohol and as good as the variety gets on this side of the ocean. Something to buy, something to cellar, and, for this fledgling winemaker, something to shoot for. Superb!

2007 Lavantureux, Chablis:
‘Never heard of this guy but when shopping at Kermit Lynch . . . quite correct nose with steel, lime, mineral and unripe pineapple; just a touch of bitterness in the mouth, which really calls out for food, but also flavors that follow the nose with balance and sustain. For drinking now or short term cellaring and another reason to shop in Berkeley; 12.5% alcohol and less than $20.

1996 Laurel Glen, Cabernet Sauvignon Sonoma Mountain:
I have almost no use for today’s cabs. but this is gorgeous; understated, almost regal in bearing, fruit filled but under controlled, emphasizing texture, and a compact delivery that seems to be less than what it leaves on the finish. A Really fine wine.

Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: A dandy syrah, etc.

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:39 am

Hoping to visit Breton next year, will skip yours!
no avatar
User

Dan Donahue

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:02 pm

IL

by Dan Donahue » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:00 pm

Palmina seems to be doing some very interseting work with Italian varieties. Have you their Arneis or Barbera yet? I really need to check these out.
Je ne peux pas le faire
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

by Florida Jim » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:34 pm

Dan Donahue wrote:Palmina seems to be doing some very interseting work with Italian varieties. Have you their Arneis or Barbera yet? I really need to check these out.

No.
But somewhere I just read about the barbera - pretty big alcohol, if I recall correctly.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:09 pm

Nice to see the props for Laurel Glen. Very deserving!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov