The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Four Wines

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

WTN: Four Wines

by Rahsaan » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:07 pm

2004 Nigl Grüner Veltliner Alte Reben
Spicy spritzy and fun. Not as elegant as the 04 Privat from a few months ago, but then again it doesn’t have to be because it's still pretty darn good.

1999 Potel Chambolle-Musigny
Dark juicy bowl of fruits that roll and wallop around the mouth. Not necessarily my favorite style but certainly fun and user friendly.

2006 Chandon de Briailles Pernand-Vergelesses Île des Vergelesses
This has firmed up since the last bottle I had several months ago. That one was light delicate and in the trembling-jelly mode but this one has more dark woodsy earthy cherries and more of a tannic structure that I recognize across vintages from this wine. Is that just the aging process, or bottle variation, who knows. That’s why we buy multiple bottles to keep enjoying the different bottles.

1998 Felsina Fontalloro IGT
Dark rich plummy fruit that turns a bit too bitter and savage on the finish for my liking. I am thinking that it either needs more time for the bitter savageness to go away or it is already too old and the supporting fruit balance is gone. Either way, this wasn’t the moment to drink it. That much I know.
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

Re: WTN: Four Wines

by Oswaldo Costa » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:06 am

Rahsaan wrote:Is that just the aging process, or bottle variation, who knows.

The frustration, but also the fascination, of drinking moving targets. Thanks for the notes, nice variety.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

Re: WTN: Four Wines

by JC (NC) » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:58 am

I think the 2002 vintage of the Nigl G.V. Alte Reben is my favorite G.V. to date (not that I've had very many but I really liked it.) I don't think I've had any of the 2004 vintage.
I like Potel and love Chambolle Musigny, I have like the Felsina Fontalloro I've had in the past (I think I have a half bottle of one around somewhere) and I generally like the Ile de Vergelesse, so indeed a nice variety of wines. Sorry the Felsina wasn't drinking well.