The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Excellent Woodward Canyons and a Chaleur

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Excellent Woodward Canyons and a Chaleur

by Jenise » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:22 pm

A neighborhood friend called yesterday and said he felt like having a great bottle from his cellar but he didn't want to drink alone. If we were available he'd bring it over. Could I say no????

He brought a 1996 Woodward Canyon Cabernet Sauvignon Dedication Series (the top of their line, even above the Artist Series) from Washington's Walla Walla Valley. Very much the younger brother of the ethereal '89 I had of this from friend Eric's cellar, this is possibly the best Washington cabernet I've had yet: plummy with Paulliac-like nuances of cigar box and graphite, an American (simpler, more direct) Pontet Canet. Lovely wine. If only all Washington wines could age like this.

Before we opened Pete's bottle, though, I offered a white wine to go with some raw vegetables: the 2007 Chaleur Estate blanc. Chaleur is another Washington winery, one whose wines are the most Bordeauxish I've discovered here. Very cut yet elegant, with warm tones of preserved lemon, herb, honey, lavendar and just a bit of diesel. The semillon in this sem-sauv blanc blend is very evident. Pricey, but it shows.

After finishing the cabernet we were essentially done at this point, but there was more conversing to be done so I decided this was the perfect occasion on which to open a singleton of 1995 Woodward Canyon Pinot Noir which would likely end up feeding the camellias after we made fun of my willingness to risk even $15 on a 14 year old Washington pinot noir. I'm unaware of any other vintage of WC pinot noir. We just don't do that grape north of the Oregon border. To our total surprise, it was not only viable it was, at least compared to expectations, dazzling. Still red-toned with good spice, acidity and length on the palate. I don't think I'd cellar these any longer, but it held up in the glass and should hold here a couple years. Who knew?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov