The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2006 Robert Eymael Monchhof Urziger Wurzgarten Kabinett

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

WTN: 2006 Robert Eymael Monchhof Urziger Wurzgarten Kabinett

by JC (NC) » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:13 pm

Riesling naturally.
This may be my first 2006 from Germany. Paid $25.99 at The Wine Merchant in Raleigh. Screwcap closure. 10% abv.
Very pale, almost colorless. Enticing stone fruit and muted ginger spice on the nose and palate. Well-integrated acid; crystal-like focused note. Suggestion of grapefruit juice along with white peach. Slides down the throat all too easily.
I will be contacting the store for more bottles this fall or winter if still in stock. I think this would be delightful with sauerbraten and red cabbage or mild dishes from Thailand or India. I had it with a chicken/artichoke/grape salad and with baked pork chops with onions and mushroom sauce. (Also a nice pairing.)

Added note: I wasn't too clear about the producer--it is Weingut Monchhof with Robert Eymael at the helm.
Last edited by JC (NC) on Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

Re: WTN: 2006 Robert Eymael Monchhof Urziger Wurzgarten Kabinett

by Salil » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:25 pm

I liked this a lot when I had it soon after release.

I've really enjoyed the Monchhof releases in the last few vintages; had a few of his wines from 02-04 that didn't impress me at all, but the wines seem to have taken a big step up in quality since and the 06 and 07s I've had from him (particularly 07 Wurzgarten Spatlese) have been generally excellent.