The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2004 Henri Gouges NSG Les Saint Georges

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

WTN: 2004 Henri Gouges NSG Les Saint Georges

by Oswaldo Costa » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:28 am

2004 Henri Gouges Nuits-St-Georges Les Saint Georges 13.0%
Les Saint Georges is often cited as the closest NSG has to a grand cru and Gouges gets good reviews in cyberspace, so this was a safe bet when on sale at Crush. Slightly cloudy but otherwise typical burgundy ruby color. Attractive nose of sour cherry, violets, dried rose petals and forest floor. Good mouth weight, with muscular acidity, medium tannins and a pleasantly tart mid palate combining to generate just the right bite. No ladybugs lurking in the bushes. Shows character and complexity for most of its trajectory, only a somewhat thin and sweetish finish marring the loveliness for me.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: 2004 Henri Gouges NSG Les Saint Georges

by Rahsaan » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:26 am

Thanks for the note. I've been drinking a lot of Gouges recently and have seen this in various places because of all the sales. I was hesitant because of the vintage but sounds like it provided some good pleasure. Did you buy more bottles to cellar?
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:38 pm

Rahsaan wrote:Thanks for the note. I've been drinking a lot of Gouges recently and have seen this in various places because of all the sales. I was hesitant because of the vintage but sounds like it provided some good pleasure. Did you buy more bottles to cellar?

Unfortunately just one more, for 2012+

Are the "lower" bottlings good too?
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:19 pm

Oswaldo Costa wrote:Are the "lower" bottlings good too?

Gouges has a particular style so it depends on whether you like it. But he has his fans I've gotten into the muscular black fruits. There is a reputation for lots of tannin but if you open the right bottle from the right vintage at the right time, that shouldn't be a problem. I.E. the 2005s were great young, I've mostly been drinking 98s and 00s recently, and then a 1990 LSG was also great this spring. As I said, I've been afraid of the 04s but your positive note may tempt me to try some if I come across them again.

I've enjoyed his LSG, Vaucrains, Pruliers, Clos des Porrets, Chenes Carteaux, and in 2005 the village NSG was great as well. I'm not sure what other vineyards he may have. Relative pleasure depends on the price/expectations, and LSG, Vaucrains, Pruliers are definitely finer than the others. But I've enjoyed all of them and for my price/value sensitivity I've gotten lots of pleasure from the Clos des Porrets.
no avatar
User

Steve Kirsch

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:53 pm

Detroit, MI

by Steve Kirsch » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:22 pm

Oswaldo Costa wrote:Are the "lower" bottlings good too?

Oswaldo, Gouges' Bourgogne rouge can be reasonably good. That said, the 2002 is only now hitting it's peak drinkability, in my opinion.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:26 pm

Personally, I'm in the camp that regards the Clos des Porrets as the "sweet spot", but I have some Bourgogne, village NSG, Pruliers, and LSG as well. Gouges can be very backward, but I like the style.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:56 am

I've only had the Pruliers but I enjoyed that one.