The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: DryCreekVnyd DCV3 FumeBlanc '07...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: DryCreekVnyd DCV3 FumeBlanc '07...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:55 am

Cracked open this VSP btl last night w/ my tofu burrito:
1. DryCreekVnyd Estate FumeBlanc DCV3/DryCreekVlly (13.5%; www.DryCreekVineyard.com) 2007: Light yellow color; lightly herbal/figgy/melony/SB rather perfumed/fragrant/restrained nose; tart bright/herbal/figgy/melony/SB fairly rich light vanilla/oak gentle flavor; very long light/herbal/figgy/melony/SB light vanilla/oak finish; not the aggressive/weedy/grapefruity character of some SB buut a lovely balanced/nuanced SB that's distinctly SB. Fairly priced at $25.00
1. I've followed DaveStare's wines from the very start, the '72 Gamay. His first SB was the '73 FumeBlanc, of which this wine is reminiscient. Made from Rochioli grapes as I recall. The first time I ever done see'd that name on a label. The label was a bit quotidian...maybe even a bit ugly. But the wine therein was one of the best SB's I'd had from Calif. DCV is still pretty much the master when it comes to SB in Calif. This is how they'd make Calif SauvBlanc in the Loire if they had the right terroir.
Tom
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

Re: WTN: DryCreekVnyd DCV3 FumeBlanc '07...(short/boring)

by John Treder » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:00 pm

>> DCV is still pretty much the master when it comes to SB in Calif. This is how they'd make Calif SauvBlanc in the Loire if they had the right terroir. <<

I'm in agreement there. I actually like the non-estate SB that you can often get for around $10 a bit better, because it has less of the melony and vanilla flavors.
DCV is also the California producer I know of, of Chenin Blanc that reminds me of Vouvray, given as you say the difference in terroir. And it's usually around $10.

John
John in the wine county