The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2008 Valle dell'Acate Il Frappato

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

WTN: 2008 Valle dell'Acate Il Frappato

by Oswaldo Costa » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:20 am

2008 Valle dell'Acate Il Frappato Vittoria Frappato DOC Sicilia 13.0%
After enjoying two frappatos from Arianna Occhipinti in the last couple of months, I wanted to try somebody else's in order to better understand the "breed standard." This was a candidate for lightest color ever encountered in a red, a very pale strawberry. Suggesting order in the universe, aromas are strawberry, sour strawberry and candied strawberry. Sniffed blind, I would have guessed a mass produced beaujolais villages (I am seldom surprised at how wrong I can be). Mouthfeel is refreshigly acidic, with extremely light body. The candied strawberry wins the strawberry wars and finishes first. Hard to believe this is 13% alcohol, it's so light on its feet. It was a mistake to have it with taleggio, the pungency of the cheese overwhelming the wine's featherweight jabs. Bottom line: pleasant and refreshing, no doubt what I would want if I were surrounded by volcanoes.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.