The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: An Aged Pineau des Charentes...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: An Aged Pineau des Charentes...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:00 pm

Tom&Marie brought this wine as a mystery wine last Wed:
1. M-L Marnier LaPostolle AC: Pineau des Charentes GrandReserve (17.5%) NV: Rather brownish/bit reddish some murky color; very intense grapey rather alcoholic beautiful complex old Cognac/old Madeira bit earthy wildly interesting nose; rather sweet (5%-8%?) complex caramel/oaked very grapey old Angelica/old Cognac/Madeira some alcoholic lovely/exotic flavor; very long/lingering somewhat alcoholic very grapey very complex old Angelica/old Madeira/old Cognac beautiful finish; a beautiful complex wine like an old Angelica; should go for another 20-60 yrs. $25.00
1. Tom bought this wine ca. 1988 on a trip from O'Hare to Fermilab. So the apertif dates back to the mid '80's sometime, maybe earlier. Pineau des Charentes is made in the Charentais region of France by adding Cognac eau de vie to (sometimes partially fermented) grape juice. The varieties are usually UgniBlanc, FolleBlanche and Colombard; some of the greatest white varieties found in the world. In Champagne, they make a similar Ratafia. In Calif, the analog is Angelica, traditionally made from the Mission grape, another premium variety. The Quady Elysium and Essencia are the most common examples of Calif Angelica. By law (not always followed), the grape juice must ferment out to 0.5% alc before hitting it with the Brandy.
My experience w/ aging the Quadys is they not really develop all that much in the bottle. Not sure why. I've also had some old (true) Calif Angelicas from as far back as 1865, aged in glass most of their life, that were magnificent.
This was my first experience w/ an aged Pineau des Charentes. I was pretty impressed how it had developed. I'm buying a few btls to lay down for 40-60 yrs to see how the modern ones develop.
Tom