The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

05 Pouilly-Fuissé Les Reisses VV & 00 Ch. Lilian Ladouys

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Noel Ermitano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:28 am

05 Pouilly-Fuissé Les Reisses VV & 00 Ch. Lilian Ladouys

by Noel Ermitano » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:03 am

I don't post on all wines I drink. Sometimes, I just don't feel like paying much attention because I'm having too much fun or am too lazy. Sometimes, I just forget. I also do not post on wines I think are absolutely horrible - especially if they are shared by friends (thankfully, that rarely happens).

These two just got lost in the shuffle: had them Saturday before last, the 12th September 2009, with a casual family dinner at my dad's place with him, my wife and kids, youngest sis, my brother and his wife. My dad has always kept a few hundred bottles at home, but he is a very casual drinker - not semi-geeky into wine like I am. For him, wine is simply something to drink with meals - not at all a passion - his glasses are still all the old-style cut crystal sets of yore.

During meals at his place, he lets me open whatever I want. I don't abuse though, I leave the expensive ones alone unless it's a special occasion. Saturday before last, we had a simple meal of fresh steamed crabs; shrimp and arugula pasta; and a meat dish that I simply don't recall.

For the crab and pasta, I chose and opened:

2005 Domaine Robert-Denogent Pouilly-Fuissé Vieilles Vignes "Les Reisses" Monopole - I first tasted this at an IWFS Blind Chardonnay Tasting (24th January 2008) where I personally ranked it 3rd Place. I've had it a few times since, but the last time was many months ago - at an IWFS informal lunch at La Chesa (13th December 2008; where the Doc told me he also liked this white) - so I was curious to see how it was coming along.

Les Reisses is a monopole vineyard of the domaine, on clay and chalky soils, the vines of which are old, averaging over 60 years (hence the designation "vieilles vignes"). Initially, the wine is a little tight, but, nonetheless, displays admirable purity and clean lines in its subtly concentrated ripe, sweetish lemon, pear and slight peach flavors with an alluring nuance of almond-nuttiness. Hint of orange blossoms in the nose. There is an underlay of oak that gracefully blends in. Very good structure and adequate acidity allow it to carry its richness well. Very good wine. My brother and dad who don't really favor whites much accepted 3rd pours of this - a good sign indeed.

For whatever it is worth, I just checked and Burghound gave this a rating of "90".

2000 Château Lilian Ladouys (St-Estèphe) - A cru bourgeois with 48 hectares under vine (averaging 40 years of age), the château itself just off the route du vin (D2), a little over a kilometer north of Cos d'Estournel. I have no idea where my dad got these, I opened one out of sheer curiosity.

There was good concentration in this round, fullish-bodied wine, its general character quite masculine, minerally and earthy. Those who prefer fruit-forward wines will likely not like this at all as the dark fruit, cassis with very minor black cherry ( + cedar, hint of ceps and violets) are almost totally submerged in asphalt, gravel and dark minerality. It comes off quite blocky and somewhat awkward. Decent, but nothing to write home about.

The bottle was left unfinished (something unusual for reds when my dad, brother and his wife are around). That fact is very revealing. I didn't care much for it myself.
Last edited by Noel Ermitano on Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: 05 Pouilly-Fuissé Les Reisses VV & 00 Ch. Lilian Ladouys

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:40 am

Just love the glasses Noel. Mother used to have the same style as well as those green-stemmed "hock" glasses. See how tolerant I was!!!

Lots of various notes on the net, reference Denogent. Not a name I have seen here abouts. Seems the wine could be even better in a couple of years. Nice note but no experience with the claret.
no avatar
User

Noel Ermitano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:28 am

by Noel Ermitano » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:15 am

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Lots of various notes on the net, reference Denogent. Not a name I have seen here abouts. Seems the wine could be even better in a couple of years. Nice note but no experience with the claret.

Hi, Bob. Yes, I think it can gain more complexity in a couple of years, maybe more nuttiness. Re: the claret, you're not missing anything.

Best,
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:42 am

Thanks for your reply Noel. Look forward to your next tasting/dinner coming up!