The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Occhipinti, Breton, Houillon-Overnoy

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Steve Kirsch

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:53 pm

Detroit, MI

Occhipinti, Breton, Houillon-Overnoy

by Steve Kirsch » Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:03 pm

Friday evening it was a choice between the high school football game and dinner at a friend's. Hmmm...beautiful evening, would be nice to get out. But my spouse wants to relax so we opt for dinner. Good move--here's what was opened: 2006 Il Frappato from Occhipinti, one of the most achingly beautiful wines I've had in years. Pure of heart, and with a Northern demeanor, and this is a wine from Sicily? Impossible! On to the 2002 Bourgueil "Clos Senechel" from Breton, a wine we've enjoyed many times (I think half the US allotment must have landed in Detroit). My last couple of bottles convinced me that this wine was getting past its prime, but this bottle was still in very good shape. Finally, when I felt we still needed more wine--and despite my wife's disagreement--I spotted this in my neighbor's cellar: the 2006 (I think) Arbois Pupillin from Houillon/Overnoy, a pale pink Poulsard from the Jura. Another old friend, this poulsard is just a little bit tart, so there's some transition from the two previous wines, both of which feature sweetness born of ripe fruit. But drinking the Overnoy poulsard gives me a feeling of consuming something rare and wonderful and unusual. I suppose it says something about the wine world today that such exclusivity comes at the princely sum of less than $35. My two bottles will remain in the cellar for another year or two at lease, as this is still very young.
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

Re: Occhipinti, Breton, Houillon-Overnoy

by Oswaldo Costa » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:06 am

A lovely trio. As you imply, the Overnoy might have come off better first.

I had the 06 Occhipinti Frappato recently and found it tremendously original and interesting. My only complaint was a certian lack of body or mouth weight.

Yes, it's great that trophy hunters and point chasers haven't woken up to these wines yet, so prices remain relatively accessible.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: Occhipinti, Breton, Houillon-Overnoy

by Dale Williams » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:43 am

Nice notes, I should drink more Frappato!