The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2002 Williams Selyem Russian River Valley Pinot Noir

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

WTN: 2002 Williams Selyem Russian River Valley Pinot Noir

by Dave R » Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:25 pm

2002 Williams Selyem Russian River Valley Pinot Noir

I opened up two of these for a small dinner party this week. Light ruby in the glass with wonderful aromatics of cherry, strawberry, spice, loganberry, herbs and something none of us could name but perhaps a combination of mild perfume combined with blueberries. A really interesting wine to sniff and try to figure out. A velvety wine on the palate and my only complaint was the lack of acid. We had grilled lamb kebobs and thought a W/S pinot would have contributed enough acidity to match the food. Not so. Nice wine nonetheless and I am looking forward to trying the single vineyard W/S's from 2002.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: 2002 Williams Selyem Russian River Valley Pinot Noir

by Jenise » Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:20 pm

I picked up a couple WS RR PN's at auction a few weeks ago out of curiosity. When I saw them available, I kind of went "Oh yeah, William Selyam"--I'd kind of forgotten they exist, so rarely do I see them mentioned these days. So I'm glad you did--are you on their mailing list? I once was, but dropped off at the change of ownership. Are the wines still as good as they used to be?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

Re: WTN: 2002 Williams Selyem Russian River Valley Pinot Noir

by Dave R » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:33 pm

Jenise wrote:I picked up a couple WS RR PN's at auction a few weeks ago out of curiosity. When I saw them available, I kind of went "Oh yeah, William Selyam"--I'd kind of forgotten they exist, so rarely do I see them mentioned these days. So I'm glad you did--are you on their mailing list? I once was, but dropped off at the change of ownership. Are the wines still as good as they used to be?

Hi Jenise,

I am no longer on their mailing list but that is more the result of changes in personal financial capital allocation versus the change in winery ownership. I've never done a side-by-side comparison of their wines pre and post the change in ownership, but the new owners are still making impressive single vineyard Pinots. But I will add that I do not think their wines today offer the same value they offered in the early to mid 1990's. If you still keep in touch with Traci, she might be a good person to ask as well.

Which vintage(s) did you purchase a few weeks ago at auction?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.