The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Spain, Mendocino, and Rhone

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Spain, Mendocino, and Rhone

by Dale Williams » Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:23 pm

A cool summer day Friday, I got home and enjoyed a glass of wine on the front porch with Betsy, the 2005 Domaine des Escaravailles "La Ponce" Cotes du Rhone(blanc). Mid-bodied, honied pears, a bit of pineapple. Low to middling acids, nothing to look for. B-

We headed up to Scarborough for dinner with friends. Betsy had brought deviled eggs (curried and shrimp) as an appetizer, I had a glass of the 2008 Martín Codax Albarino - light, innocuous, grapefruit and peaches. B-

With salmon with a little caper/onion salsa, asparagus, and salad; as well as some cheeses:
2007 Copain "Tous Ensemble" Syrah (Mendocino)
I think of Copain as rather restrained, but this is quite ripe. Still, decent acidity, noticable but easy tannins, only a hint of vanillin oak, tasty. B

2007 Ateca "de Fuego" Garnacha 2007  
Well, I thought the Copain was ripe till I tasted this. Macerated cherries, blueberries, jammy. Not my style, but for a cheap fruitbomb it will appeal (rightly) to lots of people. B-/C+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't 
drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.  
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: Spain, Mendocino, and Rhone

by Rahsaan » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:10 pm

Dale Williams wrote:I think of Copain as rather restrained, but this is quite ripe..  

I also heard they were restrained but I visited last summer and it was all too ripe for me.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: WTN: Spain, Mendocino, and Rhone

by Dale Williams » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:42 am

you should try it next to Spanish grenache, the restraint begins to show!
But I've liked other Copains more than this.