The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2007 St Cosme Les Deux Albion Cotes du Rhone

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David Glasser

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:51 am

Maryland

WTN: 2007 St Cosme Les Deux Albion Cotes du Rhone

by David Glasser » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:57 am

I've loved everything I've tried from St Cosme in '07. Then again, I've loved about 90% of all southern Rhones I've tried from '07. This was no exception.

• 2007 Château de Saint-Cosme Côtes du Rhône Les Deux Albion - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Côtes du Rhône (9/17/2009)
    Purple to rim, nose a little shy at first but after 30 minutes lots of dark fruits, spice, and pepper. Full bodied, ripe deep fruit, very good balancing acidity and tannins enough to suggest it will go another few years at least, finish is medium in lenght with fruit falling off a bit at the end to reveal a little alcoholic heat, so perhaps this is not a long-term ager. Still, excellent wine and a great QPR. Great match with grilled ribeye.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: 2007 St Cosme Les Deux Albion Cotes du Rhone

by Jenise » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:56 am

Love St. Cosme too. Bought several magnums of this one (only $38!!) but have yet to taste it, so I thank you for your note.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mark Kogos

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:16 am

Sydney Australia

by Mark Kogos » Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:38 pm

This could almost become an open mike thread given I pulled a St Cosme CNdP 03 out of the cellar to have with a bbq this evening. I will post some thoughts on it later on.
Miss dhem Saints.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:17 pm

Mark Kogos wrote:This could almost become an open mike thread given I pulled a St Cosme CNdP 03 out of the cellar to have with a bbq this evening. I will post some thoughts on it later on.

I bought a case of that; haven't had one in awhile. I'll look forward to your note.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mark Kogos

Rank

Ultra geek

Sydney Australia

by Mark Kogos » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:43 am

Jenise wrote:
Mark Kogos wrote:This could almost become an open mike thread given I pulled a St Cosme CNdP 03 out of the cellar to have with a bbq this evening. I will post some thoughts on it later on.

I bought a case of that; haven't had one in awhile. I'll look forward to your note.

Jenise

The St Cosme was the last bottle of the evening so my recollection is a bit fuzzy. I did however save some of bottle for the next night. Nothwithstanding I vacupumped it, by the following evening the wine had really fallen apart. With the alcohol at 14.5% there was a fair amount of medicinal alcoholic heat at the finish with similar heat on the nose. It definitely was not the same lovely wine I had a couple of years ago when I first picked it up. The colour is a mid garnet with some degree of red bricking going on. I suggest you might want to open up one now.

Prior to this we also had the Schloss Liesier Riesling Dry 2007. With 12.5% alc, I found this much more like a well made traditional Australian style riesling than some of the German wines I have tried recently. I am guessing the sugar was around 7 gms resulting in a more fulsome body with lemon flavours and acidic/tardy finish typical of a wine this young.

In between we enjoyed a Frescobaldi Mormoreto 1999. A cab sav, cab franc merlot mix from Tuscany. Although a good year, the wine is rapidly approaching its peak.Traditional cabernet aromas of black cherries, cassis and tobacco. Very pleasant but the soft tannins suggest it will not hold together for too much longer.
Miss dhem Saints.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:14 pm

It definitely was not the same lovely wine I had a couple of years ago when I first picked it up.

I'll do that to compare with yours. This is not the report I expected--thanks.
no avatar
User

Mark Kogos

Rank

Ultra geek

Sydney Australia

by Mark Kogos » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:35 pm

Jenise wrote:
It definitely was not the same lovely wine I had a couple of years ago when I first picked it up.

I'll do that to compare with yours. This is not the report I expected--thanks.

Yes unfortunately it was not what I was expecting either. My wife just stopped drinking and one of our guests who imports wine out of Europe quietly went back to the riesling. As it is sealed by cork, it could have been simple bottle variation.
Miss dhem Saints.