The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2005 Ferrando Carema (White Label)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

WTN: 2005 Ferrando Carema (White Label)

by Oswaldo Costa » Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:35 am

2005 Luigi Ferrando & C. Carema (White Label) DOC 13.5%
100% nebbiolo from the northernmost reaches of Piemonte, near the Val d'Aosta. Lighter ruby than your average Barolo/Barbaresco. Attractive aromas of sour cherry, iodine and leather. Judicious acidity, correct acid/sweet balance, pleasant body weight. I was beginning to "complain" to Marcia that this was a bit straightforward, compared to the 86 Roagna Barolo from two days ago (admittedly an unfair comparison), when it became UNO with our cheese & toast in such a complementary way that the expression GASTRONOMIC WINE began to flash in massive neon signs all over Las Vegas and Broadway. What it lacked in intellectual pleasure was more than compensated by sensory happiness, and it vanished in a flash, like a half bottle. Our favorite northern Piemonte nebbiolo so far (we enjoyed it much more than the Sella Lessona). Too bad it's a bit expensive for a house wine, in the mid $30s.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

Re: WTN: 2005 Ferrando Carema (White Label)

by Ian Sutton » Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:37 am

Oswaldo
Ta for this - I'm always keen to try and hear about the Northern Piemonte (nebbiolo) wines of Carema, Fara, Gattinara, Ghemme, Colline Novaresi etc.
regards
Ian
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster