The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2000 Pichon Baron

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

WTN: 2000 Pichon Baron

by Brian K Miller » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:32 pm

I know this was too young, but we did a four hour decant and we were celebrating a birthday. And...unlike the 2000 Pontet Canet earlier this year, this Bordeaux was quite accessible.

A very nice nose: leather, currants, anise-definitely on the black fruit side. Just a hint of green pepper to give freshness. I loved the nose.

Mouthfeel was quite silky...elegant and light. I know 2000 was a hot year, but there was nothing of California in this wine, the lightness and elegance was a definite high point.

Fruit: As expected from the nose, this is a "dark fruit" wine. Maybe this is where the hot vintage shows itself? I also got some green-ness underneath the black cassis and anise. Not a big dose of fruit, though...somewhat reticent. The fruit was the only thing at all lacking in the wine...this may reflect tightness (despite the decant) or mediocre storage on my part :oops:

Overall, a very elegant and enjoyable wine. I quite enjoyed it. 91 points+
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Andrew Burge

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:21 am

Brisbane Australia

Re: WTN: 2000 Pichon Baron

by Andrew Burge » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:46 pm

Hi Brian,

This wine also showed up at a dinner i hosted last weekend. It also had a 4 hour decant and showed as a ripe, blackfruited wine, even with a little "flat cola" ripeness. Having said that I thought it was tasty and would reward a long sleep in the cellar. I didnt get any green tinges, and our bottle was loaded with fruit. It is unusually warm for this time of year in Brisbane which may have contributed to the differences, but I'd say we were definitely drinking the same wine!

cheers

Andrew