The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Delicious Turkish Wine

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

WTN: Delicious Turkish Wine

by Sue Courtney » Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:11 pm

Later when I'm not so busy :)
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: Turkish Wine

by David M. Bueker » Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:13 pm

I always thought snark was the best match for Turkish wine. :wink: :D
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

Re: Turkish Wine

by Sue Courtney » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:52 pm

Well, who would have though a wine from Turkey could emulate a blockbuster from Australia (or even California). The proof is in the tasting of Kayra Vintage Shiraz + Petit Verdot 2007.

Deep dark red in colour, almost black, and impenetrably opaque. On the nose it throws out sumptuous aromas of juicy red berries and blackberries, cake spices and earthy but creamy American oak. The flavours - the intense berry flavours, that lift of spice, that power and depth. Is it the Petit Verdot that adds the intrigue, that adds the complexity, that has you scratching your head? There's chocolate strawberries and almost Turkish Delight flavours - well it is a Turkish 'delight' in every way. 14% abv. Cork closure.

This was entered in the New Zealand International Wine Show and won a gold medal - not surpisingly in my opinion.

According to the Karya website, "Kayra wines are being produced from the grapes grown in the most outstanding vineyard regions of Anatolia and processed at the Elazig and Sarköy wine production facilities located within the same regions".

Worth trying if you get the chance.

Cheers,
Sue