The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2003 Bordeaux

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

WTN: 2003 Bordeaux

by Bill Spohn » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:42 am

Notes from a Commanderie de Bordeaux tasting of the 2003 vintage.

Champagne de Venoges Cordon Bleu Brut – a very ripe cantaloupe note in the nose was a bit obtrusive, but the wine was clean on palate and finished crisply. A sample from another bottle was identical except that it (fortunately) lacked the odd cantaloupe nose.

Ch. La Garde – light straw colour, a vinyl pool nose, more or less palatable in the middle but narrowed at the end to become mean and acidic.

With seared halibut and tomato and halibut cheek ravioli in a lemon grass and ginger broth. The food far surpassed the wine.

Bellevue (St. Emilion) – wet stones and muted fruit nose, tannins on the hard side and right up front, brief finish. Not very enjoyable.

Monbousquet (St. Emilion) – much better nose with interesting complexity, oak and anise to the fore, with some smoke behind, a bright wine, also tannic but with better fruit and balance and a slight bitterness in the finish.

Le Bon Pasteur (Pomerol) – a reasonable dark fruit and herb nose, perhaps a tad on the green side, not as tight in the mouth as the previous wine, acidity a bit low, medium length, kind of petering out at the end.

Served with grilled duck breast and braised duck leg with Shiitake and green peppercorn sauce.

Clerc Milon (Pauillac) – this wine showed good colour, had a little tea and cough medicine in the nose, not unpleasant, as underneath were cassis and spice. Good stuffing, still tannic but focussed a wine that will improve.

Grand Puy Lacoste (Pauillac) – this nose was almost a little perfumey, and the wine had decent weight and balance, was softer and ready now, not bad but won’t get any better. Not what I expect from this house, which usually turns out light heavyweights.

with thyme and rosemary crusted lamb loins and pommes Dauphine.

Haut Bailly (Pessac Leognan) – currant and some mushroom in this nose, and a hard tannin attack that gets you at the back of the throat right off the bat, and I think tends to obscure the fruit, which I expect is quite adequate. It has a soft spot for a little right at the end and then rides primarily on acidity through a fairly long finish. On the whole I liked this and think it will improve with a few more years.

La Mission Haut Brion (Pessac Leognan) – some very nice black currant and blackberry notes in this nose, a very well balanced wine with soft tannins, good levels of fruit and a smooth long finish. Class act!

with cheeses

Finally:

Doisy Daene – pineapple nose, sweet and lemony on palate, with a bit more residual sugar than I like, very good length. Fortunately the wine also has enough acid to offset the high RS and comes across as balanced. Should prove popular.

Interesting wines, many still tannic but low acid and a conundrum as to whether to drink early or wait and pray.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: 2003 Bordeaux

by Jenise » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:06 am

What a dismal report! In general I wouldn't have expected accolades from you for the vintage, but at the same time I would have expected you to experience some pleasure at the Commanderie level even if on the whole the wines didn't make you regret not buying into the vintage. That said, the only 03's I bought were Mouton and Pontet Canet, as well as 2 or 3 Sauternes, Coutet and I forget what else.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:44 am

The La Mission, Haut Bailly, Clerc Milon, and Monbousquet could all be cellared without regret for having bought them.

This is not a vintage that really tempted one to lash out, though, was it?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:21 am

Bill Spohn wrote:The La Mission, Haut Bailly, Clerc Milon, and Monbousquet could all be cellared without regret for having bought them.

This is not a vintage that really tempted one to lash out, though, was it?

No, not unless one was planning to flip for resale!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:47 pm

by Diane (Long Island) » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:46 am

I mostly stayed away from the right bank in 2003, except for Pavie Macquin, which I tasted prior to buying. Duhart Milon and Pontet Canet were great a couple of years ago, and I've get several more in the cellar. I will be drinking the '03s whenever the opportunity presents itself, but from the looks of your report, I think I'll start with my former favorite producer, Grand Puy Lacoste.
Diane
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:57 am

Good choice, Diane. The GPL is really forward and pleasant.

I have 20, 30, and 40 year old vintages of this wine and the 2003 is totally atypical. GPL is normally a classic vin de garde that you can lay away and forget about for years (my kind of wine!). Don't forget about this one, or you'll regret it.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:58 am

Nice to see my GPL note of last week is confirmed here!!!!
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:09 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Nice to see my GPL note of last week is confirmed here!!!!

I hadn't seen it, Bob. Must be a case of great minds.... :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:26 pm

Limited 2003s here as well, with just Pontet Canet, Sociando Mallet, Duhart Milon & Leoville Barton in any quantity. There's a few odds and ends as well, but nothing notable except that bottle of 2003 Pavie. Might have to bring that one to an offline sooner rather than later.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Mark Kogos

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:16 am

Sydney Australia

by Mark Kogos » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:56 pm

I have a few of the Sociando Mallet and that is all. Are people suggesting I drink them up quickly now or will they continue to age with grace?

Ta
Mark
Miss dhem Saints.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:46 pm

Mark Kogos wrote:I have a few of the Sociando Mallet and that is all. Are people suggesting I drink them up quickly now or will they continue to age with grace?

No one is suggesting anything about a wine that wasn't tasted. It is a case by case thing and some of these wines are hard but lack fruit while others have fruit to back the tannins. Try a bottle and see which the Sociando is.
no avatar
User

Mark Kogos

Rank

Ultra geek

Sydney Australia

by Mark Kogos » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:24 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:
Mark Kogos wrote:I have a few of the Sociando Mallet and that is all. Are people suggesting I drink them up quickly now or will they continue to age with grace?

No one is suggesting anything about a wine that wasn't tasted. It is a case by case thing and some of these wines are hard but lack fruit while others have fruit to back the tannins. Try a bottle and see which the Sociando is.

Bill

Sadly I only have 2 at the most. Not even quite sure how I came to get them. I was hoping to piggy back off one elses experience before opening one as I generally prefer my cab blend wines with 12 years or more in the bottle. However if it is falling apart and someone has tried one recently then open it we will.

Cheers
Mark
Miss dhem Saints.
no avatar
User

AlexR

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:28 am

Bordeaux

by AlexR » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:29 am

As usual, I'm extremely wary of pithy (no, not pissy!) vintage generalizations, and 2003 is no exception.

It's a dangerous game to play to lump thousands of estates together, or draw conclusions from a couple of wines.

I have rarely boycotted the wines from any vintage and enjoy going off the beaten, politically correct path.

I have 2003s in my cellar and will report as I go along :-).

Best regards,
Alex R.
no avatar
User

R Cabrera

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:14 pm

NYC

by R Cabrera » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:36 am

Ta
Mark

I recently had this in a single-blind tasting, together with 2003 Pontet Canet and 2003 Duhart Milon in the flight. My notes:

Wine #1 Sociando Mallet, Haut Medoc (My ranking =3rd; Group Ranking=3rd; My guess=Sociando Mallet)
Some lactic nose, ripe but distinctive vegetal notes; would hopefully integrate over time; yet, an approachable bottle. B

RC
Ramon Cabrera
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

by Diane (Long Island) » Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:57 pm

Ramon - was this tasting just the 3 wines, and Sociando Mallet came in last? That's another one that I have.
Diane
no avatar
User

R Cabrera

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:14 pm

NYC

by R Cabrera » Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:47 pm

Diane,

It was a tasting with some 1996's and an additional 2003's in another flight. The 2 Pauillacs simply drank better than the Sociando that night. The Duhart Milon resulted as the best 2003 for the night. As you will see below, there were a couple of other 2003's that were not up to par with the Sociando.

The tasting was in July in NYC. Most of the tasters have these wines. We liked the 96's better that night.

Here are the rest of my 2003 TNs:

2003 Flight - Tasted Single Blind

Wine #1 Sociando Mallet, Haut Medoc (My ranking =3rd; Group Flight Ranking=3rd; My guess=Sociando Mallet)
Some lactic nose, ripe but distinctive vegetal notes; would hopefully integrate over time; yet, an approachable bottle. B

Wine #2 Pontet Canet (My ranking2nd, Group Flight Ranking=2nd; My guess=Duhart Milon)
Very nice structure, muscular, lean fruit, struggled with my personal assessment as being the best in flight with Wine #3. B+

Wine #3 Duhart Milon (My ranking=1stl Group Flight Ranking=1st; My guess=Pontet Canet)
Expressive nose, balance, slightly riper than the other 2 wines in the flight, best drinking for this flight for the night. My WOTF. B+

Next 2003 Flight:

2003 Smith Haut Lafitte, Pessac-Leognan
I got more alcohol notes than any of the wines in the tasting; vanilla and tobacco notes; ripe; medium bodied. B

2003 Lagrange, Saint-Julien
Another wine with evident ripeness; some bitterness; not sure where it’s headed. B-
Ramon Cabrera
no avatar
User

Mark Kogos

Rank

Ultra geek

Sydney Australia

by Mark Kogos » Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:53 pm

Ramon

Thank you for the note. From what I am reading, there is no huirry to open up the SM. As I only have a few, I will probably try the first one in about 3 years time.

Mark
Miss dhem Saints.
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

by Diane (Long Island) » Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:26 pm

Thank you for elaborating, Ramon.
Diane
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:52 pm

The only 2003 reds I have more than 2 bottles of are Leo-Barton and Gloria. That said, I think there are a lot of Medocs (especially from the north) that are very good wines that will do well over time.
Ramon, I am a huge fan of Lagrange. But I really hated the 03