The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: good Bourgogne AC (blanc)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: good Bourgogne AC (blanc)

by Dale Williams » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:44 pm

Betsy had appointments in the city yesterday, I was going near a good fish place so volunteered to make dinner. I did sauteed red snapper with shiitakes in miso soup, roasted kohlrabi and carrots, and a green salad. Wine was the 2007 Matrot Bourgogne (screwcap). Nice medium bodied Burg, pear and citrus, a bit of smoke and mineral. Good length, I think I might like the 07 Pernot a hair better, but both fine values in good Chardonnay (I think this was $14.xx). B/B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency. 
no avatar
User

Jacques Levy

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:00 pm

NY

Re: WTN: good Bourgogne AC (blanc)

by Jacques Levy » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:42 pm

Ok, you convinced me. I just got 6 bottles. If it's just a tad worse than the Pernot, it's good enough for me. BTW, we're drinking a delicious half bottle of 2007 Matrot Meursault tonight.
Best Regards

Jacques
no avatar
User

Richard Fadeley OLD

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue May 09, 2006 10:42 pm

Re: WTN: good Bourgogne AC (blanc)

by Richard Fadeley OLD » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:56 pm

I recently tasted about 20 white Burgundies of all styles, and I found the '06 Faiveley Bourgogne just about perfect. If you get a chance, it is definitely worth a look. The Faiveley was perfectly oaked, nice acidity and a clean, long finish. The $20 price tag might give you pause, but I bought 6 bottles.
Richard Fadeley, CWS
aka Webwineman