The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Oink-oink, röh-röh, boo-boo, hrgu-hrgu, nöff-nöff

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: Oink-oink, röh-röh, boo-boo, hrgu-hrgu, nöff-nöff

by Saina » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:34 pm

I rarely eat pork. I don't know why. I made a fillet that I marinated in the remains of yesterday's Tulloch Semillon, onion and cinnamon. Once again I am reminded how well "brown" spices go with Riesling - the Chivite became even more overtly oaky with the dish but the Riesling, despite its sweetness, was just right.

• 1999 Bodegas Julián Chivite Navarra Reserva Coleccion 125 - Spain, Navarra (9/16/2009)
    20€; 13,5% abv; 68% Tempranillo, 30% Merlot, 2% Cab Sauv. The scent has some lovely, lifted aromas a little reminiscent of old style Rioja - but sadly the leafiness of the Bordeaux varieties and the still strong oak obfuscate the scents that I liked. Perhaps just more age is needed though the fruit seems mature? The palate has sweet red fruit, moderately high acidity, noticeable but resolved tannins, A very refreshing and lifted finish. Oddly enough, our pork dish accentuated the oak so I actually found more to enjoy without food (first time this has happened!). Some aspects, like the fruit and tannins, make this seem like a wine ready to drink; but the oak seems to need more time to integrate. I liked some parts, but was not convinced by the whole.
  • 2003 Schloss Saarstein Serriger Schloss Saarsteiner Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (9/16/2009)
    17,89€; 8,5% abv; 65 g/l RS; 6,6 g/l acidity. Though a year of such over-ripeness that I don't normally seek them out, we have seen so few non-trocken Germans that I had to try one. It's not bad but it is obviously from a hot year. The scent is pure Riesling but veers toward tropical fruits rather than the bittersweet fruit I prefer. It has some of the steeliness I expect of the Saar. Strong fruit, sugary with adequate but not high acidity. It doesn't seem quite flabby to me but I would like it much more with higher acidity and less tropical fruit. So it is noticeably a 2003 - but it is also noticeably Saar. Good, but perhaps a bit too marked by the vintage that I would pay this amount again.
Posted from CellarTracker
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

Re: WTN: Oink-oink, röh-röh, boo-boo, hrgu-hrgu, nöff-nöff

by Oswaldo Costa » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:13 am

Porcine is always a poor sign... :lol:
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:15 am

Otto Nieminen wrote:It doesn't seem quite flabby to me but I would like it much more with higher acidity and less tropical fruit.

Amen.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:09 am

Oswaldo Costa wrote:Porcine is always a poor sign... :lol:

Have you nothing better to say, you swine? :wink:
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov