The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Wine agents in Toronto

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

MichaelRedhill

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:42 am

Narbonne, France

Wine agents in Toronto

by MichaelRedhill » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:23 pm

Anyone recommend a reliable, wine agent in Toronto? And do these folks sell to the public? I'd trying to figure out how to get wines the LCBO doesn't carry.

Thanks
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: Wine agents in Toronto

by Howie Hart » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:59 pm

A lot of Canadians cross the border and buy wine at Premier in the Buffalo area. I don't know about duties, etc.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:40 pm

MichaelRedhill wrote:Anyone recommend a reliable, wine agent in Toronto? And do these folks sell to the public? I'd trying to figure out how to get wines the LCBO doesn't carry.

Thanks

Michael, are you looking for an agent who would be willing to bring your wines into Canada ie the wines you make?
A wine agent, or rep as we call them, sells to the liquor board who, after listing, distributes to the wine/liquor stores.
Is that your question?!!
no avatar
User

Tom N.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:17 pm

Soo, Ont.

by Tom N. » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:03 pm

Hi Michael,

Toronto has a number of import agents that sell wine to the public. These wines are ones that the Liquor Control Board of Ontario (LCBO) does not sell. LCBO has a virtual monopoly on public wine sales to the public in Ontario because of their vast distribution network of stores throughout the province and the rather restrictive laws on liquor in Ontario. For other provinces in Canada the rules and laws are different. For instance, there is minimal tax and duty on wine in Alberta. The Toronto import agents only sell to the public in Ontario in case lots. I think most of these sales probably go to restaurants and a few well connected collectors. The general public buys very little wine outside of LCBO and a few private wine stores like the Wine Rack that carry mostly Canadian wines. I do not know personally of any wine import agents in Toronto. One company based in Waterloo, Ontario (just outside of Toronto) is called H. H. D. Imports Inc. Website: http://www.hhdimports.com

Here is a description of HHD Imports from their website:

H.H.D. Imports Inc. was founded by Harry and Ingrid Drung. With dedication, professionalism, and a lot of perseverance, they established a network of quality suppliers from around the world.

Entering this web site will reveal a treasure trove of some of the world's top producers of wines, beers and spirits. Links have been established, where available, to allow the visitor more extensive coverage of the individual suppliers and estates we represent. Working with the LCBO monopoly in Ontario, our products are available as continuous general listings or Vintages specialty listings for consumers and licensees. Our Consignment Warehouse products cater to the hospitality industry.

As a dynamic company, our philosophy is one of entering into long-term relationships with suppliers. Upon obtaining listings, we emphasize brand development and market presence. Promotional activity and media relations, coupled with nurturing and expanding our network of contacts in all sectors of the beverage alcohol industry, provide a sound foundation that will ensure corporate growth.

We have developed productive relationships with key decision-making individuals at the LCBO. H.H.D. Imports Inc. is a long term member of the Ontario Imported Wine-Spirit-Beer Association. Harry Drung has served six years as a Director of the Association in charge of the Policy, Procedures and Finance Committee.

Alcohol, and especially wine, is an enjoyable product meant to be consumed in moderation with food and in the company of others. The medical community has also proven conclusively the positive benefits of moderate consumption of alcohol on one's health.

We celebrate our past experience and face the future with enthusiasm. As the market evolves, we will continue to supply our customers with their favorites, yet are always looking to source new and innovative products.

We and our suppliers thank you for your continued support.
Tom Noland
Good sense is not common.
no avatar
User

MichaelRedhill

Rank

Wine geek

Narbonne, France

by MichaelRedhill » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:02 am

Bob -- I'm just looking for wine that's not in the LCBO's listings. After having access to anything that might interest me whole living in France the past two years, I'm finding the limitations of the LCBO infuriating. But I'm not a producer, just a consumer.

Tom -- I looked at HHD and it seems as if they only sell to businesses, but I wrote to them to see. I do have a close friend who owns a fine restaurant in Toronto, so I'm going to speak to him, but I presume private sales from restaurants to consumers is a dodgy business.

Hate to think I'd have to go to BUFFALO to buy wine!!!
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:02 pm

Michael

I have PM'd you
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:19 pm

MichaelRedhill wrote:...Hate to think I'd have to go to BUFFALO to buy wine!!!
It could be worse. Having lived in the Buffalo area all 60 years of my life, I may be forced to go to Toronto to watch the Buffalo Bills play. :?
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Tom N.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:17 pm

Soo, Ont.

by Tom N. » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:08 pm

Hi Michael,

Here is a link http://www.vintageassessments.com/winef ... p?view=all to wine agents for wines imported to Ontario.
Tom Noland
Good sense is not common.
no avatar
User

MichaelRedhill

Rank

Wine geek

Narbonne, France

by MichaelRedhill » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:52 pm

Howie Hart wrote:
MichaelRedhill wrote:...Hate to think I'd have to go to BUFFALO to buy wine!!!
It could be worse. Having lived in the Buffalo area all 60 years of my life, I may be forced to go to Toronto to watch the Buffalo Bills play. :?

It COULD be worse! You could be watching the Leafs. Or the Raptors. Or, ugh, the Jays.