The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Green tints ?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Green tints ?

by Howie Hart » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:04 am

I was recently asked why some white wines exhibit a greenish hue, but didn't have true answer, only some theories. My guess is that the wine is made with a number of unripe grapes that still have green pigmentation in the skins and pulp. I've seen grape bunches that are golden on one side and greenish on the other. I would guess the green pigmentation is chlorophyll, which I don't think is very stable relative to the pigments in black grapes. This green pigmentation adds hints of color to the wine, but it is not very stable and will break down over time, leaving the wine with a typical yellow or golden hue. The presence of unripened grapes also implies a high acid wine. Studies of red wines show the hue of pigmentation is related to the pH of the wine. So, perhaps the greenish hue is also a function of acidity. I've had a greenish hue in some white wines I've made over the years, but only early in the process, before cold stabilization, doses of SO2, filtration and bottling. I believe these treatments tend to reduce the green pigments. Does anyone else have better knowledge than my theories regarding this subject?
Last edited by Howie Hart on Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

Re: Green tints ?

by Daniel Rogov » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:51 am

Howie, Hi....

Most popular theory has little to do with skin contact but more to do with the relationship between glycerine and acidity, the tints ranging from green to orange. Of equal interest is the issue of reflections cast by the wine when held in different relationship to light - those from pale pink, green and orange and occasionally even violet, those reflections indeed often related to skin contact.

For details beyond this a two year course at UCDavis is advised and my guess is that will not give a full answer at any rate.

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:50 pm

I have been wondering about this for a long time? I too considered unripe grapes but am not a wine-maker so willing to be educated. Daniel`s light theory should be considered too I guess. I have never come across a green tinted wine from S France (so far).
no avatar
User

Oliver McCrum

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:08 am

Oakland, CA; Cigliè, Piedmont

by Oliver McCrum » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:28 pm

Some great Rieslings have a greenish glint, I'm not sure it's a sign of immature grapes.

I don't think the details of how wines look in the glass is discussed enough. Some wines just seem to reflect more light, for example; is this dry extract? I don't know.
Oliver
Oliver McCrum Wines
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

by David Creighton » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:35 pm

i remember reading that this green tint is particularly evident in young chablis - and i have in fact noticed that. it was supposed to be related to high acid/low ph - which would explain there being none from southern france, but some from chablis and germany.
david creighton
no avatar
User

Steve Slatcher

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:51 am

Manchester, England

by Steve Slatcher » Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:51 pm

If it is related to acidity, wouldn't it be easy to test by adding acid or something that would remove acidity to white wine and observing the effect? Drops of red wine falling on paper often turn blue due to the alkalinity of the paper.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:34 pm

Oliver wrote......."I don't think the details of how wines look in the glass is discussed enough. Some wines just seem to reflect more light, for example; is this dry extract? I don't know."

That is a very interesting point sir! A white-walled/tiled room with sufficient lighting might be the answer!! Seriously though, lighting can play a part in our color remarks. I normally go from straw thro`to yellow and onto gold. It`s the in-betweens that stump me sometimes.
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

by Victorwine » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:51 pm

Just crushed a little under a ton of grapes today, the pulp of the grapes themselves is generally a pale green to yellow color.

Salute
no avatar
User

Oliver McCrum

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:08 am

Oakland, CA; Cigliè, Piedmont

by Oliver McCrum » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:13 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Oliver wrote......."I don't think the details of how wines look in the glass is discussed enough. Some wines just seem to reflect more light, for example; is this dry extract? I don't know."

That is a very interesting point sir! A white-walled/tiled room with sufficient lighting might be the answer!! Seriously though, lighting can play a part in our color remarks. I normally go from straw thro`to yellow and onto gold. It`s the in-betweens that stump me sometimes.

Bob,

You're quite right, we don't taste very often under ideal visual conditions. But some wines just seem more brilliant than others, and I've never known why. I imagine it's measurable...
Oliver
Oliver McCrum Wines
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:27 am

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Oliver wrote......."I don't think the details of how wines look in the glass is discussed enough. Some wines just seem to reflect more light, for example; is this dry extract? I don't know."

Embalming room.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:07 am

At a first-timers wine tasting this past Saturday evening, we had two chards. One, from Calif., was un-oaked, unfiltered and had not undergone MLF - it was a clear, sparkling straw color. The other from Australia was well oaked, and had undergone MLF and it had a light green hue. There are too many variables to know what might have caused to greenish color but we spent some talking about it. I'll share this post with the group next time we meet.
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

by Victorwine » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:46 pm

Yellow and blue makes green.

Salute