The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Two Zins...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Two Zins...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:01 am

Tried these two last night w/ my tofu tacos:
1. TraderJoe's Rendition AlexVlly Zin (14.5%) C&B by FiveGoldHands/Geyserville; NickGoldschmidt 2007: Very dark color; pleasant blackberry/Zin some Am.oak/vanilla/pencilly bit simple nose; soft/fat pleasant blackberry/Zin light Am.oak/vanilla slightly sour flavor; med.short pleasant/simple Zin/blackberry light Am.oak/pencilly finish w/ light tannins; a pleasant stand-up Zin a bit on the simple side; very fairly priced at $9.00
2. Ridge Calif Zin Nervo (7% PS; SonomaCnty; 14.6%; Bttld: Mar'08; Drk: 1/08-1/12-1/13: EB) 2006: Very dark color; some licorice/blackberry/Zin some earthy/dusty/old vines light vanilla/oak/pungent/toasty/DraperPerfume bit tight/closed nose; soft somewhat hard/tannic/tight slight licorice/pungent some dusty/OV fairly strong blackberry/Zin/light spicy some vanilla/oak/pencilly/DP flavor; med.long rather tight/hard/tannic some blackberry/dusty/OV/Zin light pungent/vanilla/oak finish w/ ample tannins; not a lot of fruit and rather hard/tannic/tight/closed on the palate; needs some age. $28.00
1. Ridge: This Nervo was the latest Ridge ATP release. Like many Ridge ATP Zins on release; it was terribly underwhelming. Not a lot of fruit and pretty hard/tight on the palate. I suspect it will be a whole lot better with a few yrs of age, as those ATP releases are wont to do; but it doesn't offer a great deal of pleasure right now.
The Ridge ATP program continues to puzzle me. They have released most of their '07 Zins (which are, across the board, dynamite). And then here comes this '06 Zin dribbling out the pipeline. Maybe it was just so hard & tight upon bottling that they thought it needed some bottle age? Almost 2 yrs in btl and it's still a pretty tight & unyielding wine. Maybe, like some of those ATP releases, it'll rise up and bite me on the arse a few yrs down the road? We shall see.
Tom
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Two Zins...(short/boring)

by David M. Bueker » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:40 pm

A hard and fruitless zin - sounds like a dead end to me.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

CouldBe...

by TomHill » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:50 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:A hard and fruitless zin - sounds like a dead end to me.

Sometimes you just gotta believe, David. Believe that Draper & Company know what they're doing. Some of these ATP wines that
are underwhelming at release turn into something really good. This one is just not particularly good drinking...right now.
Tom
no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:22 pm

Massachusetts

by Tom Troiano » Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:44 pm

Tom,

I know that you know that I'm a huge Ridge fan (I have more Ridge wines in my cellar than any other producer) so this isn't a shot at Ridge but I wonder if they'd ever make a wine all the way to the end and (leave it alone for two years) then declare that they just can't sell this becuase it isn't what they intended. My guess would be "no" so the wine ends up being an ATP wine. Is that fair or unfair?
Tom T.
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Hmmmm...

by TomHill » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:32 am

Tom Troiano wrote:Tom,
I know that you know that I'm a huge Ridge fan (I have more Ridge wines in my cellar than any other producer) so this isn't a shot at Ridge but I wonder if they'd ever make a wine all the way to the end and (leave it alone for two years) then declare that they just can't sell this becuase it isn't what they intended. My guess would be "no" so the wine ends up being an ATP wine. Is that fair or unfair?

Sorta doubt it, Tom. Draper et al no a bit about winemaking & they make the selections for ATP or to bulk out well before it's bttld & labeled
is my guess. This Nervo was bttld & labeled almost 2 yrs ago and is just now showing up in the ATP release, which is unusually late. I would guess they
made the decision to finally release it back in the April/May time frame after tasting it & other alternatives and finally decided to go with it.
It is, at this point, a lesser ATP release. But, as I said, it may yet evolve into something pretty good. Who knows?
Tom
no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:22 pm

Massachusetts

by Tom Troiano » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:14 am

Tom,
Thanks for the reply!