The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2004 Hug Syrah, Bassetti Vineyard

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: 2004 Hug Syrah, Bassetti Vineyard

by Jenise » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:53 pm

Charmingly funky when I tasted it at the winery three years ago, but now? Hopelessly bretty. Others didn't mind so much but I couldn't drink it.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: 2004 Hug Syrah, Bessetti Vineyard

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:01 pm

Thats OK, you can start a new red wine vinegar jug in your new kitchen!
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:08 pm

Too bad. I've got 02, it's a bit "more" than my usual style, but I enjoyed and don't remember brett in the 2002. Nevr had the 04

BTW, it's "Bassetti" (I know because I serve either this, the ESJ Bassetti, or "Faithful Hound" at our Basset's annual birthday tea (next weekend). :)
no avatar
User

Dan Donahue

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:02 pm

IL

by Dan Donahue » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:19 pm

Hmm? that is bad news. I'm not a fan of a lot of brett on the palate. I'm sitting on a few of the '03s, I guess I should check in on them soon. FWIW the Hug '04 PN RO was clean (and quite enjoyable).
Je ne peux pas le faire
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:34 pm

Thanks for the correction, Dale; hope your bottle and Dan's are better than mine was. Unless you really love to roll around in the poop, that is. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

Re: WTN: 2004 Hug Syrah, Bassetti Vineyard

by James Dietz » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:19 am

I have a couple of bottles of this, so I'll try to give a bottle a spin soon.
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:27 am

Jim, reading your response just now I got this sense of deja vu about our discussing this wine. I'd never had it before except upon tasting it at the winery where, as indicated in my note, I'd liked it, but I found this note where you found a similar issue with the 2000:

http://www.wineloverspage.com/forum/village/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4772&p=37351&hilit=Jenise+Hug+Bassetti#p37351

Proves nothing one way or the other, but maybe in light of my comments it's a memory you would like to revisit.
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

by James Dietz » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:38 am

Wow... how you remembered that, I'll never know!! Pretty amazing, I tell you, but you always did have memory for food and wine that was uncanny.

I was looking at my notes on my Hug wines (and I have a lot!!). We had a month or so back the 2005 Hug Bassetti Rena Block that Augie and Raquel Hug brought to us when we all were up visiting Cedarville in Amador County. That bottle was awesome.. .listen to this gushing CT note:

Wow, was this nice... Lovely nose, palate with hints of tar in the best sense, richness abounding, but oh so balanced at the same time. Up there with my experiences with Alban, Saxum and SQN. Terrific bottle of wine. ( I gave it a 94, and I'm NOT that easy of a grader.

I now buy little to no CA Syrah from Hug (or anyone else either, except Saxum and Alban), but I love what Augie does with Pinot and now he has added Merlot, Zin and Mourvedre to his line up.

Speaking of Zin (as we did in the linked post above), you should try Scherrer if you haven't. Great stuff. Thanx to you I have quite a bit of Zin, both young and aged, from Swan too (and Cabs as well.. and Pinots).
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:52 am

James Dietz wrote:Wow... how you remembered that, I'll never know!! Pretty amazing, I tell you, but you always did have memory for food and wine that was uncanny.

Born with it: I remember being 11 months old--and it's a food memory too! We were camping in San Francisco within view of the Bay Bridge, and I was being forcefed pancakes. I didn't like them or being strapped into that chair while my older brother (wearing a micky mouse hat, which I most jealous of) roamed free one little bit!

That's pretty high praise for the Hug. I'll try to stay open minded and not judge them on this bottle. But like you, I'm generally not a buyer of California syrah or anyone else's for that matter. It's pretty much my least favorite of the popular red grapes--outside of the Rhone, that is, then everything changes.

No, I've not tried Scherrer, but thanks for the recco--I'll make a note of it. Napa, Sonoma or Amador?
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

by James Dietz » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:01 am

Scherrer is Sonoma...

http://www.scherrerwinery.com/
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:23 pm

Thanks, Jim.