The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2006 La Spinetta Barbera d'Asti Ca' di Pian

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

WTN: 2006 La Spinetta Barbera d'Asti Ca' di Pian

by Oswaldo Costa » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:46 am

2006 La Spinetta Barbera d'Asti Ca' di Pian 14.0%
From 375ml. I'm drawn to La Spinetta, despite high prices and a reputation for modernity, because of that Dürer etching of a rhinoceros* on their labels. This showed dark fruit aromas, mostly cherry, with a mist of saltiness and a hint of thyme. Some oak comes through, but well contained. Acidity, the hallmark of Barbera, is lovely and vibrant, in excellent balance with the sweetness. Good body weight, alcohol well integrated. Not overly complex, but a pleasure to drink. If this is modernity, I have no problems with it. Note to self: have to stop buying 375s, never enough for the two of us, unless part of a greater design.

* Dürer never actually saw one, so it has several inaccuracies because it's based on descriptions.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Oliver McCrum

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:08 am

Oakland, CA; Cigliè, Piedmont

Re: WTN: 2006 La Spinetta Barbera d'Asti Ca' di Pian

by Oliver McCrum » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:35 pm

I believe this Barbera is his base wine, and I agree that it's not typical of his style. A little glossy maybe but very typical Asti.
Oliver
Oliver McCrum Wines
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:41 pm

I am actually quite a fan of the La Spinetta Barbera, despite where it leaves me on the geek spectrum. I would love to get 375s.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:44 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:I would love to get 375s.

Available at Morrell's.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.