The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Margrain Pinot Noir 2005

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 am

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

WTN: Margrain Pinot Noir 2005

by Bruce Hayes » Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:27 pm

Martinborough

Dark red in the glass.

A very rich and complex nose: inky, tarry, smoky, black cherry, strawberry, spicy.

The wine, which was not decanted, started out very weighty, soft, rich and plump. With time, it became a bit leaner, but still retained the richness and intensity of flavours.

Very full in the mouth, thick, quite rich and intense, black cherry, strawberry, roasted notes, smoky, good acidity, earthy, light vegetal notes, peppery, spicy (cloves and cinnamon).

Black cherry, chocolate, earthy, with a light bitter streak on the finish.

One of the better wines I have had in quite a while.

Purchased at $65 (Canadian) from a restaurant wine list.
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

Re: WTN: Margrain Pinot Noir 2005

by Ian Sutton » Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:40 pm

Bruce
Good to see a note on this - Oddbins over here stocked it for a while and the price IIRC was a very fair one (just over £10?). I reckon I would consider buying in a restaurant at that price, as I think £15 retail wouldn't be a bad price and nice to be able to pick something off a restaurant list that you know (and know is good).

I checked CT and there were two fairly indistinct TNs from me on the 2002 :oops:

2002 Margrain Pinot Noir - New Zealand, North Island, Wairarapa, Martinborough (6/3/2006)
An improvement on the previous bottle and I suspect this is now at or near peak. There is much more complexity than you'd expect at £10 a bottle and it's more in the red cherry spectrum, than raspberry. There's a touch of bitterness that perhaps detracts, but it's not dominant and less than say a chianti.

2002 Margrain Pinot Noir - New Zealand, North Island, Wairarapa, Martinborough (1/5/2006)
Shows reasonable pinot typicity. Though the acid is perhaps a touch dominant still, this is a relatively well integrated wine. It might be better in a year or two, but wouldn't expect any improvement after 2006/7. Fair value at £10
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
no avatar
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

Re: WTN: Margrain Pinot Noir 2005

by Daniel Rogov » Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:42 pm

I've not had the opportunity to taste Margrain's Pinot Noir but can recommend their botrytis Riesling.

Best
Rogov

Margraine, Riesling Botrytis, Martinborough, 2004: Light honeyed overtones, its not exaggerated sweetness set off by lively acidity and appealing pineapple tangerine and spice flavors. Generous and silky on the palate, with balance and elegance. Perhaps best as an aperitif. Drink now-2010. Score 92. (Tasted 20 Apr 2006)