The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTNs: two 2006 Chianti Classicos, one of them excellent

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

WTNs: two 2006 Chianti Classicos, one of them excellent

by Oswaldo Costa » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:30 am

2006 was a flawless vintage in Tuscany, so I've been trying to recover from my recent Brunello disappointments by tasting some 2006 Chiantis.

2006 Barone Ricasoli Chianti Classico Riserva Rocca Guicciarda 13.5%
Attractive dark cherry, salt (iodine?), leather, loam and tar aromas. Nice complexity. Shows healthy acidity, medium tannins, good mouth-weight, and excellent acid/sweet balance after food. Very satisfying. Too bad they only had one bottle at the Rome duty-free shop, at the bargain (for this quality) price of Euro 20.

2006 Fattoria Felsina Chianti Classico Berardenga 13.0%
From 375. Cherry, musk, and saltiness (iodine?) on the nose. Good acid/sweet balance, good body. Classy, but not as complex or interesting as the Ricasoli.

I really have to do some experiments to refine the notion of a salty aroma. I understand that saltiness is not truly an aroma but one of the four mouth sensations, so when we feel the smell of salt, are we really smelling something that usually accompanies sodium choride (e.g., iodine) and making a mnemonic association? Or does pure sodium choride actually have a smell?
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: WTNs: two 2006 Chianti Classicos, one of them excellent

by Dale Williams » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:08 am

thanks for notes. Too bad you couldn't compare 2 Riservas, but I think some aren't on shelves yet. Don't know I've ever had a Ricasoli, willkeep an eye out
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:24 am

Dale Williams wrote:thanks for notes. Too bad you couldn't compare 2 Riservas, but I think some aren't on shelves yet. Don't know I've ever had a Ricasoli, willkeep an eye out

They also make a 100% sangiovese IGT called Casalferro which is often excellent. Their basic chianti is called Castello di Broglio.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

R Cabrera

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:14 pm

NYC

by R Cabrera » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:07 am

Thanks for the notes, Oswaldo.

I was quite impressed with the 2006 Felsina about 2 months ago. I’m looking forward to delivery this week of a few 2001 Ricasoli Brolio CC, my first with this producer.

My notes from July09 -
2006 Felsina Berardenga Chianti Classico
Black plum in color. Cherries, other red fruit, just slightly sweet and soft tannin, lively acidity, did not discern much oak, some earthiness, specks of pepper. A good food wine with chewy, lip-smacking finish. $18 at a local store.

Ramon
Ramon Cabrera
no avatar
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:23 am

Oswaldo Costa wrote:I really have to do some experiments to refine the notion of a salty aroma. I understand that saltiness is not truly an aroma but one of the four mouth sensations, so when we feel the smell of salt, are we really smelling something that usually accompanies sodium choride (e.g., iodine) and making a mnemonic association? Or does pure sodium choride actually have a smell?

Oswaldo, Hi....

I would think that the distinct "medicinal" aroma of iodine sets it far apart from salt/saline. My own experience has taught me to compare the "salty aroma" to that of "sea water" and that this can be either a positive or a negative descriptor depending on how intense it is.

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:42 pm

Barone Ricasoli Chianti Classico Riserva Rocca Guicciarda

Oswaldo, has a classic blueish label? I always thought this was a Chianti for some cellaring. Past vintages have been top notch for me.