The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Catalan Grenache,Dão,Rosso Conero,lovely Fontodi Syrah

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

WTN: Catalan Grenache,Dão,Rosso Conero,lovely Fontodi Syrah

by Tim York » Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:49 am

I have posted separately on some of last week’s more interesting wine and here are the others.

Terra Alta “Via Edetana” 2005 – Edetària SL, Finca el Mas – Gandesa, Catalunya – Alc. 14% (€19), made from equal parts of Garnacha Peluda, Garnacha Fina and Cariñena, was robust, concentrated and gutsy with plenty of dark fruit which could perhaps open up some more so as to obscure some English boiled sweet notes which I do not care for; 15/20+ with some possible potential.

Rosso Conero “Piancarda” 2005 - Garofoli - Alc. 13.5% - (€8), from Montepulciano 100%, was its usual reliably robust self showing full dark fruit with tobacco and tar hints and enough acidity to complement tomato based sauces; 15.5/20++ QPR!

Dão (red) 2007 – Quinta das Maias – Alc. 13.5% - (€7,50), made from Jaen, Tinta Amarela and Touriga Nacional, showed original savoury aromas which reminded me a little of last week’s Nemea from Greece and it added more fruit intensity and body with some herbal and vanilla touches; 15.5/20+ QPR.

The best for last. Syrah “Case Via” IGT Colli della Toscana Centrale 1996 – Fontodi – Alc. 13% - (€15 bin-end) showed complex and elegant aromas of dark fruit and cherries on a medium weight body with bright acidity, good depth and excellent finesse and length; a lovely wine from an unfashionable Tuscan vintage which I prefer slightly to its more opulent 2000 junior; perfect with duck, ceps and endives; 16.5/20+++ QPR!!.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: Catalan Grenache,Dão,Rosso Conero,lovely Fontodi Syrah

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:47 pm

Dão (red) 2007 – Quinta das Maias – Alc. 13.5% - (€7,50), made from Jaen, Tinta Amarela and Touriga Nacional, showed original savoury aromas which reminded me a little of last week’s Nemea from Greece and it added more fruit intensity and body with some herbal and vanilla touches; 15.5/20+ QPR.

I can imagine that there are some interesting developements with Dao wines, Tim. Remember the old days with tannic, stemmy monsters? An Open Mike might be of brief interest but many markets might not carry much. Naturally decent range here in town!!

Jamie has some insight for all forumites.....>

http://wineanorak.com/dao1_overview.htm
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:28 pm

Bob
We have one in - a 1997 Quinta dos Roques, but also would be very interested in recco's for Dao. We struck lucky a few years back (pre CT, so no TNs or recollection of the producer) with some 1997 Dao at ~ £3 a bottle from a local merchant, which was variable, but never less than good and occasionally much more so.

So although just the one bottle to play with, certainly interest here.

regards

Ian
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:32 pm

Good to see you popping in again here Ian. How is your footie team doing?!!
Dao might be of interest to some, lets do an OM next month? Jamie seems to have some nice suggestions to look out for. I have 2 on the shelf downtown waiting for me!
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:34 pm

Tim
Good to see another positive Syrah note from Tuscany. I get the feeling that time may even favour Syrah over Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot in the region.
regards
Ian
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:45 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Good to see you popping in again here Ian. How is your footie team doing?!!

Bob
Being born in Birmingham, I've always supported Aston Villa, so today's local derby vs. Birmingham had the required result :mrgreen:

As for the local side to where I live, I think Norwich must have either *won or played away from home this weekend, as we didn't hear any crowd noise :wink:

* Norwich/Norfolk is basically a very pleasant place and despite honest efforts, the local fans aren't exactly what you'd call loud. Thus whenever we hear some noise from the ground, always assume it's the visiting fans cheering a goal!

Do you still follow anyone?

regards

Ian
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:49 am

Chelsea and QPR!
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:43 am

Ian Sutton wrote:Good to see another positive Syrah note from Tuscany. I get the feeling that time may even favour Syrah over Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot in the region.

Ian, I think that Tuscany can do pretty good ageworthy jobs with Cabernet and Merlot as well as Syrah. Lupicaia (mainly CabSauv, I think) and Lamaione (Merlot) were both excellent last time I tried their 1995s.On the other hand I kept a bottle of the 1990 Cab from Isole e Olena too long and it was a shadow of the previous bottle.

Have you tried the delicious Cabernet franc offering from Villa Vignamaggio? The 1998 is in fine form.

I have been underwhelmed by Tuscan Pinot Noir. The Pinot Nero Case Via from Fontodi is not a patch on the Syrah.

I still think that the real glory of Tuscan wine comes from Sangiovese but with results like these it is hard to urge them to forget the international varieties.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:01 am

Tim
Yes very much so - indeed my post was semi-troll as the runs might already be on the board for cabernet and merlot in various super-tuscan blends, but I just get the sneaky suspicion that in time Syrah may trump them (whilst very much retaining a Tuscan identity).

As for Sangiovese - yes as the leading producers for that grape, it seems illogical to internationalise the established wines. That said, I find successes in Brunello much rarer than in (say) Barbaresco. Maybe that's my palate, or maybe the producers want more consistency (even if that risks individuality).

regards

Ian
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:34 pm

Bob
Picked up a bottle of the 2005 Pena di Pato you saw reviewed on Jamie's site - It had a couple of quid off at Waitrose 8)

So I've got two Dao available for an open mike should you still be keen! No rush though, as I'm always happy to let wines sit in the cellar a while before drinking.

regards

Ian
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:40 am

Great...but we hijacked Tims thread!!

Tim, please forgive us.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:00 am

Bob, that's not thread drift. It arises directly out of one of the wines I posted about. I would like to participate in a Dão OM if I can find a decent selection. The formerly active importer of many good Portuguese wines including Q. Roques seems to have gone out of circulation.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:36 pm

Thanks Tim, I was having some fun! Thread drift is not a big problem here on this forum, unlike that UK one (grin wink).