The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Irish wine

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

Re: Irish wine

by Paul B. » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:23 pm

Can anyone say 'Seyval Blanc'? One needs only look to what England has done in recent times. I'm surprised that Sauvignon works in Ireland, but if it does, then why not. Really, with all the new cultivars out there today for cool/short-season climates, I say go for it.

Now, as for traditional cider - that's something that could certainly use a renaissance. To this day it is impossible to find any artisanal hard ciders from either England, Ireland, Normandy, or anywhere in the U.S. up here in Ontario. Totally crazy, how we are forced to wallow in this "protective mediocrity" that governments foist upon us...
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

David Llewellyn

Rank

Just got here

Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:59 pm

by David Llewellyn » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:12 pm

Thanks for that, Otto. Thomas Walk was one of those names that we couldn't confirm. I'll pass on the info.
Interesting to note that the label image* shows 'made and bottled by Vin du Longueville'

Hello, I just found this thread - is it dead now?
If not, and if anybody is chasing down Irish wine, I produce and sell a range of wines, entirely grown, pressed, fermented and bottled in Ireland. It is available to buy from several outlets, including from myself, and if anybody wants more information, let me know!
It is commercial, albeit on a TINY scale, and it is more of an overgrown hobby turned commercial sideline to my main activity of making apple juice, ciders, and vinegars.

David L.
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:14 pm

David,

That's very interesting. Could you tell us what grape varieties you use?

Here in Ontario, we have had a difficult, cold and wet vintage. Although I make grape wine almost every year, this year I have decided to make hard apple cider, given that true artisanal cider is - perplexingly and frustratingly - unavailable in our province. I hear that cider is traditional both in Ireland and Britain, as of course it is in Normandy.

Cheers
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:32 pm

Welcome David

Did you see the reference to yourself on teh previous page?

Can you throw any light on other commercial Irish wines?
no avatar
User

David Llewellyn

Rank

Just got here

by David Llewellyn » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:37 pm

I grow Cab.S., Merlot, Sauv.Bl, Chardonnay, Gewurz, and various others, all in tiny amounts. The later ripeners I assist by the use of temporary polythene covers over the rows. ("Aha! I knew there must be some trickery here!", I hear you say!) They are not growing in actual polytunnels as, for example, Beenleigh vineyard in England. The covers are off from post-harvest until early the following summer. The less fussy grapes like Rondo and Madeleine Angevine dont have the privelege of the covers, and ripen ok entirely exposed.

Well, Peter, the only other 'commercial' wine I am aware of is the wine which Longueville House makes occasionally from grapes bought from Thomas Walk. His self-named 'Amurensis Walk' is actually Rondo!! And it seems he only gets fairly erratic crops from his vineyard in Cork. Longueville used to make some wine from their own vineyard, but there remains only a neglected remnant of the former vineyard, which does not yield usable crops, as I understand, even though one occasionally hears claims to the contrary!

As for cider, Paul, well thats a fairly sorry state of affairs in Ireland. There is no remaining tradition of cidermaking here. Everybody's idea of cider is that stuff produced by the Magners/Bulmers monopoly, which is to me not cider at all, but rather, sweet sparkling apple-flavoured fermented glucose-water. I make an artisan cider and sell it in a small way, and there are 1 or 2 others in the country who do the same, and of course a scattering of others who also make the real thing for their own enjoyment.
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:29 pm

David Llewellyn wrote:I grow Cab.S., Merlot, Sauv.Bl, Chardonnay, Gewurz, and various others, all in tiny amounts.

Hi David,
I am glad to hear you are still growing Sauv Blanc and others - and making them into wine presumably.
The link is to my blog entry from a year and a half ago when I stumbled across mention of your Sauv Bl.
http://www.wineoftheweek.com/blog/blog2 ... m#20080317
How would my friend Joyce get hold of a bottle of your most recent vintage next time she takes a trip to Ireland?
Cheers,
Sue Courtney
no avatar
User

David Llewellyn

Rank

Just got here

by David Llewellyn » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:32 pm

How would my friend Joyce get hold of a bottle of your most recent vintage next time she takes a trip to Ireland?
Cheers,
Sue Courtney[/quote]

Hi Sue, thanks. Anyone who is interested in getting my wine can email me (pureapple@eircom.net) or phone me (+353 87 2843879), simple as that! They can either buy it from me, or from a couple of wine shops in Dublin who stock it, or I can post it. Now I should pre-warn that it is rather expensive, and that is one of the reasons I also bottle it in 375ml bottles as well as the 750ml bottles. The cost is mainly a factor of the tiny scale of production, the measures involved with struggling in a marginal climate, and the fact that there is no infrastructure here and everything I use, from equipment to bottles to corks has to be sourced in mainland Europe. However I am very pleased with the general feedback from people, and many customers have returned to buy again in spite of the price.
no avatar
User

David Llewellyn

Rank

Just got here

by David Llewellyn » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:49 pm

Tim York wrote:If they can make wine in Sweden http://www.sweden.se/eng/Home/Lifestyle ... l-harvest/ , they certainly can in ireland.

Hello Tim! How common is the name 'Tim York'???
When I saw your post, I first assumed you were the only Tim York I ever knew or heard of, but I was puzzled by the location 'Belgium'. You might be amused to learn that in Ireland Tim York (an English man) with his wife Fiona planted and ran one of Irelands most significant vineyards ever, in county Waterford. I observed with great interest and excitement its performance for several years, until sadly the Yorks sold their property and the vineyard was subsequently abandoned. As far as I can judge, it was their vineyard which in 1996 produced the best crop of grapes ever grown in this country!! I even still have a couple of bottles of the wine from that harvest, which is well past its drink-by date, but nevertheless a souvenir of an unbelievable Irish grape harvest!
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:19 pm

David Llewellyn wrote:
Tim York wrote:If they can make wine in Sweden http://www.sweden.se/eng/Home/Lifestyle ... l-harvest/ , they certainly can in ireland.

Hello Tim! How common is the name 'Tim York'???
When I saw your post, I first assumed you were the only Tim York I ever knew or heard of, but I was puzzled by the location 'Belgium'. You might be amused to learn that in Ireland Tim York (an English man) with his wife Fiona planted and ran one of Irelands most significant vineyards ever, in county Waterford. I observed with great interest and excitement its performance for several years, until sadly the Yorks sold their property and the vineyard was subsequently abandoned. As far as I can judge, it was their vineyard which in 1996 produced the best crop of grapes ever grown in this country!! I even still have a couple of bottles of the wine from that harvest, which is well past its drink-by date, but nevertheless a souvenir of an unbelievable Irish grape harvest!

Hi David, I am of course not Tim, but welcome tothe forum anywhay.
Bob Henrick
Previous