The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: rainy night with RhnRanger, Burgs, and a NZSB

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: rainy night with RhnRanger, Burgs, and a NZSB

by Dale Williams » Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:04 pm

Friday we had some friends coming for dinner, at 5 we got a call that Dana was sick. Jim was still willing, and we recruited Nancy for empty seat. Betsy made chicken schnitzel (served on a herb salad with a lemon/anchovy sauce), while I did the stirring on her mushroom risotto. She also did some berry compotes in pastry for 3 (and made pastries filled with mimolette and comte for me!).

The cooking wine was the 2007 Goose Bay Sauvignon Blanc (Marlborough)
Gooseberry, grapefruit, a little pepper edge. I thought a bit short, and could have used a little more acidic zip. B-/C+

The wine I chose for the schnitzel was the 2007 Drouhin St Veran. I've posted plenty of notes on this, a great value in clean straightforward Macon. Good Chardonnay pear fruit, crisp acids, earthy/mineral notes, good length. B+

For the mushroom risotto, the 2006 Marechal "Cuvee Gravel" Bourgogne. Black raspberry fruit, a light herbal edge, some tannins, bright acids. Good presence and length for a Bourgogne AC, nice midweight Pinot. Drinking well but no hurry. B+

Jim is a fan of bigger reds, especially Rhone, so I also opened the 2005 (I think) Garretson "The Graosta" Mourvedre (Paso Robles), a recent gift from my SOBER friend Tim. This isn't the hulking monster I expected, it's quite ripe, but the tannins are smooth and it's more midweight than heavyweight. Dark fruits, tar, a hint of rubber. Gets redder fruits with time. Probably could use a little more time, but I enjoy. B for now.

Nice way to spend a rainy night, with a menu that was a transition from summer to fall.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent 
wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't 
drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no 
promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.  
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

Re: WTN: rainy night with RhnRanger, Burgs, and a NZSB

by Sue Courtney » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:12 am

you know that the Goose Bay is Kosher wine?
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:15 pm

I didn't , see the meshuval stamp on back now, guess I should have saved for Fri (except I'm rather goy)
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:47 pm

by Diane (Long Island) » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:09 am

Sounds like a delicious dinner, Dale. I very often prepare chicken Milanese, topped with a salad in a lemon and olive oil dressing (no anchovies), and I love a Macon with it.
I have a 2005 Marechale "Cuvee Gravel" Bourgogne pulled for tonight's dinner of leftover mushroom risotto and roast duck. I hope the wine isn't shut down.
Diane
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:10 am

Diane (Long Island) wrote:I have a 2005 Marechale "Cuvee Gravel" Bourgogne pulled for tonight's dinner of leftover mushroom risotto and roast duck. I hope the wine isn't shut down.

I haven't tasted the wine recently, but a pretty reliable source said it was drinking well a month ago: http://winedisorder.com/comment/56/2104/
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

by Diane (Long Island) » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:19 am

Rahsaan - thanks for the link. It sure does sound like a good time to open one.
Diane
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:15 pm

Diane (Long Island) wrote: I very often prepare chicken Milanese, topped with a salad in a lemon and olive oil dressing (no anchovies), and I love a Macon with it.
I have a 2005 Marechale "Cuvee Gravel" Bourgogne pulled for tonight's dinner of leftover mushroom risotto and roast duck. I hope the wine isn't shut down.

I think Milan and Vienna should arrange a cutlet cookoff, to determine what constitutes the difference between schnitzel and Milanese!

Marc D on CT also said 05 Gravel drinking well. For some reason I didn't buy the 05, I assume I just didn't see it. Only C & C Marechal 05 I have is the Savigny VV/
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:23 pm

The St. Veran is a favorite here too. Good choice.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:26 pm

Dale - where are you getting Marechale? Is it another Chambers St thing (where I recently broke probation for some Radikon and Vissoux)?
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:44 pm

I think I did get these at Chambers. Though I have bought various Marechal wines through WHWC, Garnet, and WineLibrary through the years, probably at least 50% have been CSW.
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

by Diane (Long Island) » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:06 pm

Dale Williams wrote:
I think Milan and Vienna should arrange a cutlet cookoff, to determine what constitutes the difference between schnitzel and Milanese!

I'm up for it. :D

I also have a couple of bottles of the '05 Savigny VV tucked away somewhere.
Diane