The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Quick malolactic question

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

Quick malolactic question

by Jon Peterson » Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:38 pm

Would malolactic fermentation happen all the time unless it was stopped by human intervention or does it have to be started once in a while?
no avatar
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

Re: Quick malolactic question

by Daniel Rogov » Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:55 pm

Jon, Hi....

In many older wineries the lactic bacteria required for malolactic fermentation (secondary fermentation if we will) is naturally present. In some cases, where malo is desired those natural bacteria are enough - in others lactic bacteria are added. In newer wineries, malolactic fermentation is almost always started after the first fermentation by the addition of lactic bacteria. Under no circumstances will malolatic fermentation take place in the absense of these bacteria.

In either case, when malo does not finish on its own the bacteria can be quite easily done away with by the addition of sulfites to the wine.

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:41 pm

Daniel Rogov wrote:...In either case, when malo does not finish on its own the bacteria can be quite easily done away with by the addition of sulfites to the wine...
Other forms of human intervention to prevent M-L are sterile filtration and pasteurization. On the non-human intervention side, M-L will not take place if there is too much acid - low pH and high TA, which is one of the reasons M-L seldom takes place in Riesling. Nor does it take place (to my knowledge) in sparkling wines, where the TA is temporarily raised due to the presence of CO2 dissolved in the wine.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

by Victorwine » Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:46 pm

I’ll agree with Daniel, besides lactic acid bacteria (LAB) naturally occurring in “older” wineries they could also be present on the grapes themselves. If the conditions (SO2 concentration, temperature, pH, nutrients present, concentration of malic acid) are right they might just do their thing at some time after alcoholic fermentation.

Salute
no avatar
User

Steve Slatcher

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:51 am

Manchester, England

by Steve Slatcher » Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:07 pm

Is malo more likely to happen naturally with reds?

I have a vague memory of someone saying that a long time ago, and that it was related to reds fermenting at higher temps - so the malo normally kicked off immediately after the main fermentation. While whites had to have their temperature deliberately raised to initiate the malo.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:21 pm

Steve Slatcher wrote:Is malo more likely to happen naturally with reds?

I have a vague memory of someone saying that a long time ago, and that it was related to reds fermenting at higher temps - so the malo normally kicked off immediately after the main fermentation. While whites had to have their temperature deliberately raised to initiate the malo.

Regarding malo in general, what Daniel Rogov said--an excellent summary of the process.

The bacteria involved in malolactic fermentation most definitely require higher temperatures than your typical French cellar in Burgundy has during the winter months. Typically in Burgundy malolactic fermentation, for reds or whites, starts up in March or April after the vintage. Some Burgundy estates have heaters in the cellars so that they can better control the process. I doubt if this is a problem in warmer wine-growing regions such as California. In those warmer climates, it probably does kick off immediately after the main fermentation.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

by David Creighton » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:29 am

read between the lines here to note that sulphur levels must fall dramatically for the ML bacteria to start at all. this leaves the wine defenseless against all kinds of bacterial and other attackers. AND, if you have the wrong type of ML bacteria, the wine can have some very bad flavor compounds develope. Its not something you want to do unless you think you have to.
david creighton
no avatar
User

Richard Fadeley OLD

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue May 09, 2006 10:42 pm

by Richard Fadeley OLD » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:41 am

I don't know all the particulars, but while visiting Chateau Lagrange (St. Julien, Bordeaux) last year they told us that they had developed a technique whereby they can have the alcoholic fermentation and the malolactic fermentation take place simultaneously. They viewed this as an economic issue that would save a racking, as I remember. Obviously not a time savings. Interesting concept. We will see if it will (or can, for intellectual property reasons) be adopted by others.
Richard Fadeley, CWS
aka Webwineman
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:52 am

Thank you all; your information filled in some gaps in my understanding. I'm presenting a 101 level wine tasting seminar and was trying to anticipate some questions.
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

by Victorwine » Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:37 pm

Just as “desirable” wine yeast strains are selected from wineries or vineyards, “desirable” LAB species are selected.

Salute
no avatar
User

Mark Willstatter

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:20 pm

Puget Sound

by Mark Willstatter » Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:18 pm

Richard Fadeley wrote:I don't know all the particulars, but while visiting Chateau Lagrange (St. Julien, Bordeaux) last year they told us that they had developed a technique whereby they can have the alcoholic fermentation and the malolactic fermentation take place simultaneously. They viewed this as an economic issue that would save a racking, as I remember. Obviously not a time savings. Interesting concept. We will see if it will (or can, for intellectual property reasons) be adopted by others.

Richard, I doubt IP issues would be involved since simultaneous fermentations aren't a new thing. Most wineries prefer to wait until very close to the end of primary fermentation or after it altogether because there are risks involved in ML fermentation going on in the presence of sugars. I'll leave the biochemical details to others more knowledgeable but from what I've read, ML bacteria can metabolize sugars into acetic acid. It's hard to know if Lagrange's "simultaneous" means both fermentations actually start at the same time or if they mean ML when primary fermenation is not quite complete, in which case their practice would not be unusual at all. Most winemakers prefer to wait until just after primary fermentation is actually complete because conditions then are most favorable: no sugar and therefore minimal risk of VA from ML fermentation and a high CO2 environment, which ML bacteria also like.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:39 am

Jon Peterson wrote:Thank you all; your information filled in some gaps in my understanding. I'm presenting a 101 level wine tasting seminar and was trying to anticipate some questions.

WRT M-L fermentation, malo-lactic fermentation generally takes place spontaneously, in conjunction with alcohol fermentation, during carbonic maceration, which is the whole cluster fermentation technique used to make Beaujolais Nouveau.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

by Victorwine » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:48 am

After or just before the end of alcoholic fermentation, the dying yeast cells provide nutrients for a growing colony of LAB. Personally I do not believe it is a good idea to have the “desired” wine yeast strain and “desired” LAB competing for nutrients. Here’s a nice article from our friend Ben Rotter:
http://www.brsquared.org/wine/Articles/MLF/MLF.htm

Salute
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:39 am

Paul Winalski wrote:
Steve Slatcher wrote:Is malo more likely to happen naturally with reds?

Regarding malo in general, what Daniel Rogov said--an excellent summary of the process.

The bacteria involved in malolactic fermentation most definitely require higher temperatures than your typical French cellar in Burgundy has during the winter months. Typically in Burgundy malolactic fermentation, for reds or whites, starts up in March or April after the vintage. Some Burgundy estates have heaters in the cellars so that they can better control the process. I doubt if this is a problem in warmer wine-growing regions such as California. In those warmer climates, it probably does kick off immediately after the main fermentation.

-Paul W.

I know several pinot noir wineries here in Oregon just have a warm room for malolactic fermentation.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT