The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

90 points, what's the point

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

Re: 90 points, what's the point

by Daniel Rogov » Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:36 pm

Jeff, Hi Again....

I note that both our posts are becoming somewhat less lengthy. A good sign perhaps?

Sorry if I was not clear. A tasting of 150 wines when at a sit-down tasting, with assistants blinding, opening, pouring, serving and "assisting" are quite different than sip and spit tastings at which one walks around, a single glass in hand hoping to sample as many wines as possible with no real chance at all to return to taste the wine a second time at the same walk-about.,.

At those sit-down tastings, no problems in posting tasting notes. At the walk-about, as I said, more to gain impressions – in many cases those being re-tastings so that one can make quick short-hand notes to compare with earlier reactions and determine if a wine has changed so drastically that it needs a formal re-tasting, in others of new wines to determine whether they may be worth writing about. No bias built in there for that determination is made on the basis of both the good and the bad and future tastings are going to be blind.

And, going a step further, even at trade fairs (e.g. Vinoble, VinItaly, VinExpo) where some wines must be tasted non-blind – that too is where professionalism comes in.

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:51 pm

Hi again,

Daniel Rogov wrote:I note that both our posts are becoming somewhat less lengthy. A good sign perhaps?

Well, we have agreed and we have agreed to disagree. That covers a lot of ground in and of itself.

At the walk-about, as I said, more to gain impressions – <snip> in others of new wines to determine whether they may be worth writing about.

Bingo. A blah impression will likely lead to no subsequent note.
no avatar
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:20 pm

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote: A blah impression will likely lead to no subsequent note.

Not necessarily when tasted blind among 30 or more other wines in a similar category. Unless of course the wine is truly blah.

And on that note, as Mr Pepys liked to close out his daily diary entries....."and so to bed"

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:33 pm

Pleasant dreams.