The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTNs: Awful Australian chard & Occhipinti SP68

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

WTNs: Awful Australian chard & Occhipinti SP68

by Oswaldo Costa » Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:16 pm

2006 Joseph River Estate Chardonnay Western Australia 14.0%
No acid, sappy fruit. Awful.

2008 Arianna Occhipinti SP68 Sicilia IGT 12.5%
A mix of nero d'avola and frappato. I enjoyed an Occhipinti frappato last month for its freshness and novelty, despite insufficient body, so I decided to check out this (lower) cuvee. Aromas are quite similar, but simpler, with raspberry jam, gooseberry, and green twigs. Uncomprimisingly acid, even after food, perhaps too much (a rare complaint from me). Could use a touch of sweetness and, like its senior sibling, more body. Perhaps this suffered from being served at room temperature (20C), but that would only have made the body appear heavier; it still tasted quite fresh at that temperature. A nice wine, with a sense of honesty and place (maybe I'm just buying into the hype), but not a candidate for house wine.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTNs: Awful Australian chard & Occhipinti SP68

by Rahsaan » Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:57 pm

Oswaldo Costa wrote:2008 Arianna Occhipinti SP68 Sicilia IGT 12.5%
A mix of nero d'avola and frappato. I enjoyed an Occhipinti frappato last month for its freshness and novelty, despite insufficient body, so I decided to check out this (lower) cuvee. Aromas are quite similar, but simpler, with raspberry jam, gooseberry, and green twigs. Uncomprimisingly acid, even after food, perhaps too much (a rare complaint from me). Could use a touch of sweetness and, like its senior sibling, more body. Perhaps this suffered from being served at room temperature (20C), but that would only have made the body appear heavier; it still tasted quite fresh at that temperature. A nice wine, with a sense of honesty and place (maybe I'm just buying into the hype), but not a candidate for house wine.

How dark was this wine?

I've tasted a few of these Occhipinti wines and they admittedly were not my usual wine. But they often seemed dark, tannic, yet acidic, which seemed like a weird combination although potentially intriguing if I explored them further. Yours however sounds like the flavors were lighter and fresher.
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

Re: WTNs: Awful Australian chard & Occhipinti SP68

by Oswaldo Costa » Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:09 pm

Rahsaan wrote:How dark was this wine?

I've tasted a few of these Occhipinti wines and they admittedly were not my usual wine. But they often seemed dark, tannic, yet acidic, which seemed like a weird combination although potentially intriguing if I explored them further. Yours however sounds like the flavors were lighter and fresher.

Not dark, a brilliant and translucent ruby. Not tannic either, definitely lighter and fresher. The need for more body in this one contrasts with no such need with recent gamays, trousseaus and poulsards, so maybe it was the acidity that made me wish for countervailing duties in realms other than sweetness.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.