The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Wine Tasting 101

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jack R

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:23 pm

Wine Tasting 101

by Jack R » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:38 am

Is the Wine Tasting 101 " online course" still available? I couldn't find it on the website.

I've become interested in learning more about wine and wine tasting, which is maybe a little odd for someone who has been making wine for over 5 years. Though I have a good knowledge of the science, I have little knowledge of the appreciation. I got into wine making because I liked to drink wine and because it was something I could do. I've purchased a wine cellar to store and properly age the wine I make, but I'm also interested in doing some collecting and actually learning something about wine and more importantly, about wine tasting.

Thanks.
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

Re: Wine Tasting 101

by Jon Peterson » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:04 am

Jack - welcome to the forum. I very recently was looking at the online course so I know it's there. Check under the Learn About Wine tab on the home page.
no avatar
User

Jack R

Rank

Wine geek

by Jack R » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:26 pm

You can get into a page which describes Wine Tasting 101 when you click a link on the left, but when you click the "Click here to enter Wine Tasting 101" link, it merely takes you to the forum main page.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:38 pm

I sent a note to Robin Garr to ask why the link does not work (it does not).
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:17 pm

Jack, welcome!

Wine Tasting 101 was a feature of an earlier version of the forum that has been replaced in the current software by Wine Focus, which follows a very similar path of focusing each month on a specific wine, type or category and encouraging tasting notes an discussion. I didn't realize the old link was broken, but I'll try to track that down and make the result give a better response.

There's plenty of community wine learning going on here, but it takes a variety of forms. We're actually thinking at this time about folding Wine Focus back into the main forum rather than having it as a separate forum, but whatever we do, we'll seek to keep it highly visible and active.
no avatar
User

Jack R

Rank

Wine geek

by Jack R » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:46 pm

I'm definitely starting to peruse this forum. What I read about Wine Tasting 101 was very interesting-- mainly because that is exactly what I had come up with in my own 'noggin as a good way to learn wine tasting. The listed wines can be easily purchased. All the novice has to do is to purchase those wines, smell and taste, then follow the "experts" tasting notes. Basically, an "expert" identifies the things the novice should recognize, then the novice smells/tastes the wine trying to recognize those things the "expert" identified. Over time, the novice should at least develop the skills to follow that particular expert, which might be a little weak for someone wanting to judge a contest, but is certainly strong enough for someone wanting a better understanding of wine tasting.
no avatar
User

Matilda L

Rank

Sparkling Red Riding Hood

Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:48 am

Adelaide, South Australia

by Matilda L » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:03 am

Another thing I'd encourage you to do, Jack, is to taste wine along with other people. Round up a couple of friends who are interested in wine - they don't have to be experts, either - and taste wines together. Talk about what you are tasting in the wine. Doing stuff with other people can sharpen up your perceptions no end. It's fun, too.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:18 am

Jack - we're all happy to help you along the road to learning more about wines (and the attendant financial ruin :wink: ), so whether it's in the Wine Focus forums, our main forum (there have been some interesting Open Mike threads on things like Malbec, German Riesling & recently a new one on the wine of Greece) or anywhere else (food and wine matching in the food forum) we're thrilled to have you with us & hope we can help.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jack R

Rank

Wine geek

by Jack R » Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:03 pm

Thanks for the kind welcomes.

I agree that tasting with friends is an excellent idea. I have some friends who drink wine, but are more interesting in drinking than tasting. However, I could probably find a couple to go through some sort online course with me. The key is to have a framework to follow. Without something to go by, it would really be the blind leading the blind.
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

by David Creighton » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:39 am

one of the first things you might learn by tasting is that not all wines should be collected and aged. this is particularly true of home made wines - which rarely have the structure required for aging. the problem with tasting of drinking only what you make is that however good or bad it is, it will seem natural to you. so, yes, tasting other things - esp. with experienced tasters is very important. they should not necessarily be your friends - who won't tell you the truth about your wines in any event. in my group there are some people who love aussie wines and some who generally don't - same with chilean or california or french. taste with a variety of palates if you can.
david creighton
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:14 pm

I used to have friends.Really.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

Jack R

Rank

Wine geek

by Jack R » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:45 pm

David Creighton wrote:one of the first things you might learn by tasting is that not all wines should be collected and aged. this is particularly true of home made wines - which rarely have the structure required for aging. the problem with tasting of drinking only what you make is that however good or bad it is, it will seem natural to you. so, yes, tasting other things - esp. with experienced tasters is very important. they should not necessarily be your friends - who won't tell you the truth about your wines in any event. in my group there are some people who love aussie wines and some who generally don't - same with chilean or california or french. taste with a variety of palates if you can.

Good advice. I realize all wines are not meant to be aged. I usually make red wine from premium grape pack kits and fruit wine from berries such as blueberries, raspberries, etc. These wines typically benefit from some aging, often 2 or 3 years. The key to getting the most out of this aging is aging properly (e.g. proper temperature, dark, no vibrations, 50% - 75% humidity, etc.).

I definitely agree with what you are saying about tasting. My wines typically taste different than the commercial wines I buy, of course some of mine are fruit wines. I'm interested in learning about tasting to better enjoy commercial, as well as my own wines. I drink wine simply because I enjoy it. However, though I make it and enjoy it, I really know very little about picking out the various flavors, acidity, tannin, etc. I'm pretty strong with the science of winemaking, but quite ignorant with the art of wine tasting. This site is great a great place for me to dive in and start learning, but can anybody recommend an online tasting course? I found one, but it was $149, which sounds kind of gimmickee to me. I don't mind paying something, but don't want to just throw good money away on a bunch of nothing. A friend wants to do an online course with me, so it should be a lot of fun.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:22 am

Jack, lots of great suggestions in earlier threads. I like Andrea Immer Robinson's "Great Wine Made Simple".

It's a straight forward exploration of the "Big Six (Seven)" wines, self directed or great fun to do with a friend. The Amazon link will let you take a look at the approach, which is based on Kraly's Windows on the World program and which has been used to train thousands of waiters and sommeliers.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/076790 ... GFW95QKW66
no avatar
User

Jack R

Rank

Wine geek

by Jack R » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:00 am

I should definitely get some books. I have one book I read about half of a couple of years ago, but I really didn't have the interest I have now. It was more oriented around types of grapes, where grown, etc. I'll go back and read/re-read that book first.

I would like to follow a course that picked specific wines and brands to get, and gave a taste and aroma analysis. That way, one could purchase those wines, smell and taste, then try to identify the things attributed to those wines in the course (acidity, various fruit flavors, finish, etc.). Working with another person would give an even better experience. The course I saw would identify something like a 2007 Californian Zinfandel. However, it didn't give specific brands. Anyway, I just thought something like that would be helpful.