The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Technical: Access to WLDG early in the day.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

Technical: Access to WLDG early in the day.

by Tim York » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:14 am

I frequently find it difficult to access WLDG between 8 and 9 o'clock in the morning European time and on rare occasions until much later."General Error" messages are frequent. Usually after repeated attempts over 30 minutes or so I can get in but the response times remain slow.

Is there a reason for this?

The same does not apply to other sites which I visit regularly.
Tim York
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: Technical: Access to WLDG early in the day.

by David M. Bueker » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:04 am

You're not the only one. Robin & I have often tried to figure out the true cause, but to little avail.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:48 am

I have had the same problem. Despite being aself-confessed computer illiterate, I have understood that this was a period of "adjustment" of some sort to the site. I do not find it all that inconvenient because my outage generally lasts no more than 5 - 10 minutes and can be counted on in Israel to take place at between 09:00-09:15.

On the few occasions during which the outage was longer or the message repeating, I simply closed and reopened my internet connection and all was well.

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:37 pm

Daniel Rogov wrote:I do not find it all that inconvenient because my outage generally lasts no more than 5 - 10 minutes and can be counted on in Israel to take place at between 09:00-09:15.

It is inconvenient to me because we open the bookshop at 11:00 so at 9:00 I am usually drinking coffee and reading wine sites - and almost every day this site shows error messages. And not for 5-10 mins but usually all the way until 10:00 when I have to leave home!

Gladly in the evenings it seems to work fine for me, so it's not that big a deal. Just a minor annoyance.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Neil Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:39 pm

Auckland, New Zealand

by Neil Courtney » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:11 pm

It hits me in the early evening at about 6:30pm, but generally does not last for too long.
Cheers,
Neil Courtney

'Wine improves with age. The older I get, the better I like it.' --- Anonymous.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:30 pm

Because of this issue, one of hte very first things I do when I get up at 5 AM is check the WLDG to see if General SQL is trying to stage a military coup. If he is I notify Robin by PM & he usually can get it fixed pronto.

Is this now happening on a more than occasional basis? I have not seen it for a couple of weeks.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:55 am

David M. Bueker wrote:Because of this issue, one of hte very first things I do when I get up at 5 AM is check the WLDG to see if General SQL is trying to stage a military coup. If he is I notify Robin by PM & he usually can get it fixed pronto.

Is this now happening on a more than occasional basis? I have not seen it for a couple of weeks.

By 11 am our time (5am yours, I think), access to WLDG is usually OK, as it is right now. However rare is the day between 8am and 9am our time when it is not "General Error" (or such a wait that I move elsewhere) on first and usually many subsequent tries.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:39 am

Folks, this is an irritating, but occasional, issue that our server technicians are seeking to pursue. The "too many connections," as the name implies, indicates that the server has become overloaded from excessive use. This is odd because early in the morning, US time, should be a relatively low-traffic period. A mass attack by Asian hackers is certainly possible, but seems unlikely. Bottom line, our techs are looking into it, and yesterday they created a little computer routine to try to log errors and detect exactly what was happening just before "General Error" appeared.

You guys could actually help by posting the EXACT time when you see this. That would help our guy track errors in the log.
no avatar
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:52 am

Robin, Hi....

For me, daily and religiously between 09:00-09:15 Tel Aviv time (which places it at 02:00-02:15 New York Time)
Personally, I have just taken it in stride.

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:20 am

Its 11.17pm MT. No problem getting in.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:47 am

I just got in on my first try. Has something been done or is it just luck?
Tim York
no avatar
User

Neil Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Auckland, New Zealand

by Neil Courtney » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:07 am

Hey guys, Robin asked for the times that it DOES go wrong. Maybe they have sorted it as tonight there were no problems for me. Well done to Robin's hosts if they have caught the baddie!
Cheers,
Neil Courtney

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:11 am

Daniel Rogov wrote:For me, daily and religiously between 09:00-09:15 Tel Aviv time (which places it at 02:00-02:15 New York Time)

I have discovered, Rogov, that this particular outage - about 10 to 15 minutes around 2 a.m. NY time - is the period when our server is entirely backed up. This is an important process because it ensures that, in case of some disaster like hard-disk failure, we could completely restore all data at least through the daily backup hour. That time is chosen because traffic overall is lowest then, although it's unfortunate that it is business hours in Europe and Israel.

Technically, during that period the forum is not literally down, but the backup requires so many resources that the system runs extremely slow, so much so that your browser is likely to time out and give up before you get to a page. Frustrating, but it should not normally last longer than 10-15 minutes.

The "Too Many Connections - General Error" message is random and sporadic, and we would like reports on exactly what time it happens so we can match occurrences to events in the log.
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:08 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Daniel Rogov wrote:For me, daily and religiously between 09:00-09:15 Tel Aviv time (which places it at 02:00-02:15 New York Time)

I have discovered, Rogov, that this particular outage - about 10 to 15 minutes around 2 a.m. NY time - is the period when our server is entirely backed up.

That coincides with 6pm to 6.15pm NZ (normal time) - which is when I particulary experience it.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:23 am

Robin Garr wrote:I have discovered, Rogov, that this particular outage - about 10 to 15 minutes around 2 a.m. NY time - is the period when our server is entirely backed up.

That is clearly our problem; between 8 and 8.30 (6 hours ahead of New York) is usually when I switch on. I think that I actually experienced the back up process turning on this morning at about 8.10. I got into the site immediately but when I tried to call up Sue's above post the system blocked.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Neil Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Auckland, New Zealand

by Neil Courtney » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:32 am

Got a general failure tonight at about 6:30pm NZ time, which equates to 2:30am EST as far as I can determine. From about 6:15pm I did not get any page served at all. No error message, no page, no nothin'. :(
Cheers,
Neil Courtney

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:48 am

That probably coincides with the backup Neil. We also had a General SQL error yesterday at 6:45 PM EDT, so at least we know it's not you. :wink: