The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: A Chilean Chardonnay from Concha y Toro

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: A Chilean Chardonnay from Concha y Toro

by Saina » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:24 pm

Maycas del Limarí (Concha y Toro) Chardonnay Reserva 2007 D.O. Limarí Valley; Stelvinned; 14% abv; 16,12€.

Limarí is in northern Chile but is a fairly cool climate. Marcelo Papa, C y T's chief wine maker, believes Limarí to be the best area in Chile for Chardonnay (what chief wine maker doesn't think so of their newest area to market?). I haven't usually enjoyed Chilean wines and I usually find Chardonnay soporific so I did not approach this with an open mind.

So, it is all the more shocking that I found it perfectly drinkable. Golden-green, unevolved colour. The scent is full of lime and gooseberry and a general green fruitiness that is suggestive of crispness on the palate. It seems to be full bodied but the acidity is strong enough (7,7g/l !) that it is very light on its feet. Crisp, citric and quite persistent on the finish.

New world? This? But where's the oak?* Apparently only 20% sees oak and even that is in 400 liter barrels that are twice and thrice used. There is a subtle smokiness on some sniffs, but the oak influence is so small that even I am not disturbed by it - it is so quiet that I had to listen hard to find the noise, and even then I lost it quickly.

Good stuff. Nice to see Chardonnay made in an invigorating (pertaining to both its acidity and its lack of soporific elements ;) ) style with little oak. Since even a giant of the mass-market wine like C y T is making one in this style, is there a general trend in making Chardonnay drinkable again?*

* Yes, yes, my prejudices are showing here, I know. FWIW, I have tasted some very nice unoaked Chardonnays recently (Clos Pepe and Marimar Torres).
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: A Chilean Chardonnay from Concha y Toro

by David M. Bueker » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:33 pm

Not sure if there's an actual trend (and sort of doubt it), but this appears to be a newer, cool climate venture for CyT.

Jamie Goode tasted the wines not so long ago. See this link.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:43 pm

This is encouraging. It sounds much better than their flagship Chard "Amelia" which I opened a week or so ago viewtopic.php?f=3&t=26510&p=227208&hilit=amelia%E2%80%A6#p227208 .
The Wine Advocate thinks that its 2006 version is a good ringer for a Côte d'Or Grand Cru :o .
Tim York
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:45 pm

Tim York wrote:The Wine Advocate thinks that its 2006 version is a good ringer for a Côte d'Or Grand Cru :o .

It oxidizes quickly?
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:54 pm

Thanks for the surprising note, I'll try to find some. I believe they were profiled (approvingly) in the Decanter special on Chile.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:55 am

David M. Bueker wrote:Not sure if there's an actual trend (and sort of doubt it), but this appears to be a newer, cool climate venture for CyT.

I understand there is, the result of chardonnay's popularity loss to Pinot Grigio. Even KJ cut back.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:49 am

Jenise wrote:
David M. Bueker wrote:Not sure if there's an actual trend (and sort of doubt it), but this appears to be a newer, cool climate venture for CyT.

I understand there is, the result of chardonnay's popularity loss to Pinot Grigio. Even KJ cut back.

You're sure it wasn't due to the Sierra Club protesting the loss of forest area? :wink: