The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Labor Day: Tissot, Flora Springs, Havens, Storybook

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

WTN: Labor Day: Tissot, Flora Springs, Havens, Storybook

by Brian K Miller » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:59 am

At Wine Styles Thursday Night

2005 Stephane Tissot Singulier (Trouseeau).
I was a little concerned that this low-sulfer wine would be dead or stinky, but it was instead very clean. Lighter than my last bottle (which was a 2004), this was all about the cranberry, white pepper, and earthy notes. Probably needed food. Still very interesting and enjoyable. 88 points

with friends at Starz in Vacaville (a BOWLING ALLEY, of all places, that has some of the best food in my county! :? )

2004 Flora Springs "Holy Smokes Vineyard" Cabernet Sauvignon. I remember liking this a couple of years back at the winery, and I was happy to see how fine it was drinking tonight. Certainly some big ripe fruit, but the Oakville vineyard does bring a somewhat smokey/earthy character to the wine. What stands out...and it seems to be a house characteristic...is the mouthwatering, juicy, and fresh acidity. A very delicious food wine...not a jam bomb, no 15.5% abv, just juicy and fresh and balanced and delicious. 92 points.

Labor Day Barbecue (Smoked Ribs, Beans, Mustard Greens)

2004 Havens "Hudson Vineyard' Syrah. Now this was in a lovely place right now. Berry fruit, a savory bass note, plenty of acidity, white pepper...just a hint of the tomato leaf notes I sometimes notice in this wine, but just a hint here. 93 points.

2006 Storybook Mountain "Mayacamas Range" Estate Zinfandel. Delicious wine that shared some of the earthy, savory characteristics of the Syrah above, with the bright sweet cherry/zinberry fruit which let you know what grape variety you are drinking! This wine has been written up by others, and I have to say I am now a convert. 91 points!

A good wine weekend, and the weather in inland northern California was stellar this weekend!
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach