The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Which one would you serve first?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:01 pm

Atchison, KS

Which one would you serve first?

by Ryan M » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:36 am

Hello All,

I'm finally getting to do my big Rieussec tasting, to take place Friday night. But I have a challenge I've been debating for the past 6 months or so: should I serve the 1981 Mouton first before proceeding to any of the Rieussec's, or rather serve the likely fragile 1916 Rieussec first, then proceed to a pairing of the 1981 Mouton and 1981 Rieussec? A wine from a weak vintage like 1916 is likely to be rather dried out by now, but it is still a Sauternes, and I wouldn't want to compromise the Mouton. On the other hand, the Mouton is a 1er Cru Pauillac, and may simply have too much body and firmness to serve before a delicate, 93 year old wine.

All thought, opinions, and perspectives welcome.

Thanks,
Ryan
Last edited by Ryan M on Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Which one would you serve first?

by Jenise » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:48 am

Ryan, I'm not clear here.

Is the 1916 a Mouton or a Rieussec? If the former, pair it with the other Mouton. If the latter, serve it after and alone. But by no means pair the 81 Mouton and 81 Rieussec together.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Atchison, KS

by Ryan M » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:09 pm

Sorry, the 1916 is a Rieussec (I've clarified my post above). When I say "pair" the 1981's together, what I actually meant was simply follow the '81 Mouton directly with the '81 Rieussec (oh no, I would never taste back and forth between those). So the issue is, should the '16 Rieussec be served before or after the '81 Mouton. The fact that the former is a Sauternes is perhaps trumped by the 65 year age difference. So, the specific issue is, will the likely somewhat dried-out '16 Rieussec be too rich for the '81 Mouton to follow it, or will the '81 Mouton still have enough tannin and structure that you wouldn't want to follow it with a likely fragile, 65 year older wine?
Last edited by Ryan M on Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:10 pm

No quandary for me: serve the 1916 Rieussec first, and by itself. Accompany it with some light apps and make it a pre-prandial if you wish. That wine is the raison d'etre (weak pun intended) and should be the unquestioned showcase and given every opportunity to shine. Don't overburden the wine by serving it after a series of wine, or expecting it to shine after some heavy-weight tannic cab blend.
no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Atchison, KS

by Ryan M » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:14 pm

Hoke wrote:No quandary for me: serve the 1916 Rieussec first, and by itself. Accompany it with some light apps and make it a pre-prandial if you wish. That wine is the raison d'etre (weak pun intended) and should be the unquestioned showcase and given every opportunity to shine. Don't overburden the wine by serving it after a series of wine, or expecting it to shine after some heavy-weight tannic cab blend.

Thanks Hoke - that was exactly my thinking as well, but this unusual territory.
Galileo Galilei