The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Beaucastel 1988 - 2004

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

WTN: Beaucastel 1988 - 2004

by Bill Spohn » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:11 am

I have been collecting and drinking Ch. de Beaucastel for many years, but it had been a few years since I had put together a long vertical so as to be able to examine the differences between the vintages and investigate any changes in style that might have taken place over the last coupe of decades. It was time to give it another look.

Beaucastel is both the longest lived and one of the most atypical wines of the region, and both come from the insistence on the part of Jacques Perrin (the father for whom the famous selection ‘Hommage’ was created) on maintaining a consistently high (usually around 30%) level of Mourvedre in the wines. Of all the southern Rhone producers, only La Nerthe exceeds them in this.

What that means is that not only has Beaucastel traditionally been a long lasting wine, but that you also need to give it at least 6 – 10 years for the Mourvedre ‘pong’ to settle down and the wine to come into focus, and then to enjoy it for the following 10 -12 years or more. This was all explained by the Perrins when I first visited Beaucastel in 1991, and I have observed that their wines have tended to follow this path. What it also meant was that the wines usually went through a closed stage where they were relatively inexpressive, and then came out the other end into full bloom at their plateau of tasting, where they would hold, usually for many years.

This didn’t account for some of the newer vintages that I hadn’t seen going at all dumb or shutting down, and I wondered if the recent winemaking had changed, another topic to be informed by this tasting.

I started out by offering one white, the best in the Southern Rhone, made from old vines Roussanne in small amounts (around 4000 bottles per year):

1993 Ch.de Beaucastel Roussanne Vielles Vignes – a light amber colour, and a honeyed nose almost with some Riesling characteristics. The noses seemed slightly sweet and the wine also seemed to be slightly sweet on the entry although it really wasn’t. Full and long in the mouth, it smoothly slid toward a long slow finish. I always enjoy these wines and can’t really relate them to any other wines I’ve tasted.

Then the reds – first up, with Fresh Chanterelles, Salt Spring Goat Cheese, Chives, Polenta

2004 Ch.de Beaucastel – cherries and smoke in the nose, and on palate deep, full bodied and tannic, still very primary and grapy, a serious wine in fist stages. Not closed, but not developed quite enough for prime time yet.

2001 Ch.de Beaucastel – well, this one was no longer purple, and in fact almost looked a tad bricky in comparison to the sappy 2004. Nice fruit, nice sweetness, a good blueberry impression, but if it had one fault it would be that it finishes on the hot side. Nonetheless a good wine.

With Fresh Pan Seared Sweetbreads, White Beans, Hazelnut Crust, Bordelaise Sauce

2000 Ch.de Beaucastel – Quite dark in colour and the berries in this nose were of the blackberry sort. An attractive wine that drinks very well now, showing excellent fruit levels, and with no rush at all as it should coast for years. Very harmonious pleasing wine.

1999 Ch.de Beaucastel – The nose on this wine was also quite decent but I observed a hint of sourness that was slightly off putting. Not sour as in spoiled o as a flaw, but simply a hint of something that you weren’t sure but didn’t think it should be there. Nonetheless it had a good mouth feel with a slightly sweet fresh entry and typically long finish. Perusing RPs notes he gave both this and the 2000 the same longevity prediction. I would not expect this to drink as long as the 2000 will.

With Duck Confit, Beluga Lentils, Port Reduction

1998 Ch.de Beaucastel – nice nose, quite ripe, with meat and olives, good stuffing on palate with bright acidity and a nice sweetness in midpalate, finishing long. A good wine.

1997 Ch.de Beaucastel – aha! The first hint of brett, but in balance (didn’t put me off, anyway), but then on palate something I have noted before in brett affected wines – a muting of the more complex nuances you hope to detect, and the wine ends up simpler than it might. This wine had very good fruit levels, and it was well balanced and had decent length, but it didn’t stand out as the best examples do.

With Braised Short Ribs, Fettucine, Truffle Sauce

1996 Ch.de Beaucastel – our first poor showing. While the nose was fruit driven, with spice and black pepper, the wine was lean and austere and lacked fruit on palate.

1995 Ch.de Beaucastel – an old favourite of mine, this showed well, a dark wine with a nose of mellow cocoa with a tiny hint of something minty, and big fruit on palate, with very good length, lingering on palate for quite awhile. Unlike other tastings in recent years, this shows that this wine is finally coming into drinking range and I shall un tut my stash to slowly start opening a bottle every year or two. Very good wine.

With Grilled Venison, Wild Boar Potato Galette, Sour Cherry Sauce

1994 Ch.de Beaucastel – More brett in this nose but the wine was full bodied, juicy and attractive, smooth on palate and still firm at the end. A pleasant surprise.

1990 Ch.de Beaucastel – now we get into the end game where the big guns resided, and opinions varied about which wine they liked best, but not about the fact that they liked them all. A lovely nose of cedar and mocha with a hint of brett, and on palate a sweet fruit entry, with concentrated black fruit in the middle, berry, wood and anise flavours mingled, balance excellent and good length. I opted for this one as being slightly sweeter fruit and slightly more approachable and less hard, but the 89 was a nice partner for it.

With an Assorted cheese plate

1989 Ch.de Beaucastel – still pretty dark. A funky bottle stink nose that brought murmurings of the word ‘corked?’ to the fore took 5 minutes to fade away and we were left with a wine in very good shape, showing significantly more tannin than the 1990. All sorts of dark fruit and anise in this nose, and a slightly more austere presentation on palate. Big and long lived, I have to wonder if this wine has yet peaked. I am in no rush after this and will leave mine a few years more.

1988 Ch.de Beaucastel - I have none of this in my cellar and that is a shame as it showed very well. A lovely mature colour and nose, clean and brettless, supple fruit on palate and given the still evident tannins and ample levels of fruit, no rush at all on this.

Conclusions? While there did indeed seem to be a change in the wines, it came earlier than I’d have thought. Pre 1995 the wines were firmer and needed time, after that they seemed more friendly and ready to drink than the older wines were at the same age. Don’t hold me strictly to that dividing line; arguments could be made to shift it several years either way.

The winemaking was consistent, with the ever present specter of Brettanomyces hovering over the feast. Generally accepted as a sign of unclean winemaking practices, this rogue yeast is very hard to eradicate once it gets into a winery. Although people (often the people trying to sell the wine) say that it adds character, on the whole I’d prefer to live without it, and I think that was the sentiment of most (except one brett fan that looked like he wanted to roll in the wine rather than taste it the first time we got a good whiff of this). I can take it or leave it, and have pretty good tolerance for it, but I have this nagging suspicion that whenever I detect it, it may be affecting the other things I value in a wine, like fruit level and brightness.

Beaucastel consistently make excellent wines in their own way and to their own pattern and ideal and I have to admire that. They will never take the place of more traditional Chateauneuf du Papes, but the region would be much duller without them.

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Beaucastel 1988 - 2004

by Jenise » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:10 pm

Bill, I will do my best to do this fantastic event justice. Thank you SO much for organizing.

1993 Ch.de Beaucastel Roussanne Vielles Vignes – peach trifle and bourbon nose, on the palate amond nougat, ginger and fino sherry segue into a pleasant lemon rind finish. This is the second bottle of this I've had from your cellar, and it was a better bottle than the first.

2004 Ch.de Beaucastel – very primary with grapiness and raw yeast. Coop observed rightly that there's a lot of grenache on the nose. Though not a wine I'd choose to drink now or soon, and nothing like the 05 (which I've had twice), the stuffing and balance predict a nice future. I'm pleased to have more in the cellar.

2001 Ch.de Beaucastel – A much more developed wine. I found the fruit showing a lot of strawberry jam, the midpalate short and the finish tight--to me, all indicate a wine that's more closed than open. I've mistaken all these traits many times for wines that were OTH only to open another bottle a year or so later to find the wine I expected that earlier bottle to be. Ken, however, thought it "won't get any better", and his palate and experience being what it is I know which of the two of us you should listen to. :)

With Fresh Pan Seared Sweetbreads, White Beans, Hazelnut Crust, Bordelaise Sauce (though the menu said Bordelaise sauce, I have to tell you that I tasted Hoisin. There was a strongish fresh ginger element to it as well that I would not have chosen for these wines.)

2000 Ch.de Beaucastel – My first note on this wine is: "PERFECT". Quite truly, everything I would hope for in perfect proportion and balance. I can otherwise add little to your excellent description.

1999 Ch.de Beaucastel – Nose seems much older than the 00--more than a single calendar year would typically account for. However, it's fresher on the palate and it fills out a bit with time. Better yet with food, but still overshadowed by the 2000, and I cannot imagine, as you noted, it having anywhere near the lifespan.

With Duck Confit, Beluga Lentils, Port Reduction (My favorite food match of the night, btw, due in no small part to the fresh red currants stirred into the lentils just before serving. A perfect example of how easy it can be to make a good match an even greater match.)

1998 Ch.de Beaucastel – One of the most aromatic wines of the night. Lovely bright fruit with chocolate, earth, olives, and a maple-syrup flavored sweetness on the palate and finish that quite set it apart from the wines that preceded it. Great acids, too. One of my favorites of the night.

1997 Ch.de Beaucastel – "The first hint of brett, but in balance (didn’t put me off, anyway), but then on palate something I have noted before in brett affected wines – a muting of the more complex nuances you hope to detect". Yes yes YES! As we discussed last night, I used to be a bigger fan of brett than I am now for precisely this reason. I love just the hint of it, but the comparison of this 97, which was the most affected wine of the night, to the wines that preceded it make it painfully clear at what cost one tolerates this bacteria. My second to last place wine after the '96.

1996 Ch.de Beaucastel – Light and rather hollow. I held some aside and found that it actually improved with a bit more time, but not much, it really IS over for this one.

1995 Ch.de Beaucastel – Very substantial, bigger bodied and more youthful than the 99 thru 96 that came before it. Loved the mint aspect and a whiff of something that reminds me of powdered black cherries (and something I've found on several of the better 95 Northern Rhones as well). This has a great future--you're lucky to own it.

1994 Ch.de Beaucastel – Take the 95, make it a bit drier, add more heat and a dose of brett and you've got the '94. It makes you work a little harder than some of the other wines, but you're right that it was quite pleasant and would be even more enjoyable if one were drinking it alone and not nitpicking for comparisons. I liked it a lot.

1990 Ch.de Beaucastel – Excellent wine, well resolved and lovely.

1989 Ch.de Beaucastel – WOW. Big, complex, sweet and spicy, concentrated black fruit, a little sweaty horse funk, more youthful than the '90 to my tastes, and with surprisingly sturdy tannins. It can coast here for years. My WOTN.

1988 Ch.de Beaucastel - Light brett, spicy baked red fruits and tomato skin. With time, it thins out a bit and shows a little green plus develops a note of bug spray. I bow to your greater experience with Beaucastel, but to my palate, while still good this was slightly past it's prime.

*About the brett. I found some brett in every vintage older than the 97. It varied widely, and in some cases integrated into the whole more seamlessly which made me even question whether I could tell the difference between brett and a more welcome kind of funk that might be attributable to other age-related sources, but nonetheless I thought the '98 was the last 'clean' wine.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:31 pm

Jenise wrote: With time, it thins out a bit and shows a little green plus develops a note of bug spray.

Excellent notes as always, Jenise, but you have to stop sniffing bug spray if you want to keep those taste buds pristine.... :P
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:24 pm

Thanks to you both for the fine notes. I had a chance to enjoy a similar tasting a couple of years ago with good friends Harry Cantrell, Beth Sheligo and others. Our event was equally enjoyable. I'll see if I can dredge up my notes.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Tom N.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:17 pm

Soo, Ont.

by Tom N. » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:05 pm

Hi Bill and Jenise,

I really enjoyed your tasting notes. Which one was the best match with food?

I have a 2000 Beaucastel CdP in my cellar that I plan to open for big '60th' birthday in 11/2011. How do you think it will be drinking by then? Still ramping up, peaked, or starting its gradual descent?
Tom Noland
Good sense is not common.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:17 pm

You should be just fine with that wine Tom. Most 2000 Chateauneufs have been drinking well from the outset & continue to do so. There''s no way the Beau will be fading in 2011. I've had it four times in the last two years & each time it was pretty open and generous.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:19 pm

It appears I never posted my notes from the Beaucastel tasting organized by Harry Cantrell. Thankfully Harry did so here.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:25 pm

Tom N. wrote:Hi Bill and Jenise,

I really enjoyed your tasting notes. Which one was the best match with food?

I have a 2000 Beaucastel CdP in my cellar that I plan to open for big '60th' birthday in 11/2011. How do you think it will be drinking by then? Still ramping up, peaked, or starting its gradual descent?

Tom, still ramping up. It was a total joy to drink (my second WOTN) but in no way is it near peak. You have a lot to look forward to!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David N

Rank

Wine geek

Thu May 01, 2008 11:49 pm

by David N » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:25 pm

I pretty much agree with Bill's and Jenise's comments, but I had a different take on some of the vintages:
2004 This was almost in barrel-sample territory, very primary and grapey. I think that it has lots of potential but was not showing particularly well at this young age.
2001 Very closed , but there was the underlying stuffing to hold out a good prospect for significant improvement.
1998 For me, this was the big disappointment of the evening. I expected an outstanding wine from a great vintage. What I tasted was an overripe pastiche of Beaucastel. Both the nose and the palate showed burnt sugar, a marker for sur-maturité. No elegance and overall rather dull.

My favourites - 1995,1990 and 1989.

I wonder whether, with the introduction of the Hommage à Jacques Perrin, the quality of the regular bottling suffered. This is always a potential problem when the best of the juice is diverted to a luxury cuvée.
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:59 pm

You'll never got a note from me. I bought and drank the '89, '90 and '94. Loved them all.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

Mark Kogos

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:16 am

Sydney Australia

by Mark Kogos » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:55 am

I am glad to see the joy people are getting from the '95. I had one earlier this year and absolutely adored it. On the other hand, the '98 I had a few months later was much more reserved and retiring and definitely not in a mood to come out and play, just yet. I do get jealous when I read about these wonderful verticals up there :cry: :)
Miss dhem Saints.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:46 am

David N wrote:I wonder whether, with the introduction of the Hommage à Jacques Perrin, the quality of the regular bottling suffered. This is always a potential problem when the best of the juice is diverted to a luxury cuvée.

Yes; what year was the first Hommage?
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:13 am

Jenise wrote:Yes; what year was the first Hommage?

1989, IIRC