The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2002 Guilliams Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:47 pm

WTN: 2002 Guilliams Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve

by Diane (Long Island) » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:50 pm

Admittedly, I drink very little California Cab. A recent trip to Napa re-opened my eyes to some lovely and restrained Cabernet Sauvignon. This particular bottle was purchased on a trip 3 years ago when we visited John and Shawn Guilliams at their home/winery. Their basic Cab was lovely, and this Reserve brought the wine to a higher level. I wish I would have bought more wine from that trip, because this bottle was drinking beautifully, and on my trip last month, I purchased a few 2006s from different wineries. It wasn't as strong a vintage as 2002, but it had qualities that appealed to my old world palate. But, getting back to the Guilliams wine.....

Bright aromas of plums, cherries and spices. Elegant (how often does that describe a young Cab from California?), with dark fruit on entry and red fruit and fine, sweet tannins on finish

Sometimes nothing is better with a Porterhouse steak than a ripe California Cabernet.
Diane
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: WTN: 2002 Guilliams Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve

by Brian K Miller » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:50 am

I quite enjoyed the 2002 "regular" bottling from this estate, Diane. Definitely small production/under the radar. Delicious stuff.

On a wine buying hiatus, but your note is tempting.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach