The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2001 Clos du Marquis

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: 2001 Clos du Marquis

by David M. Bueker » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:03 pm

Looking for slightly austere, elegant Bordeaux that still has a core of well-mannered juicy fruit at the back end? This is your wine. It will not win any fans with the hedonist crowd (who are in fact proclaiming the 2000 OTH already), but it hearkens back to an older style of Bordeaux. It's lovely now, though it could do with some more leathery elements that it might pick up in time. The touch of astringency at the finish is something that would get it knocked down several pegs by many people, but I would suggest that both Jenise and Covert should keep an eye out for this wine.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

Re: WTN: 2001 Clos du Marquis

by Salil » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:35 pm

Mmm, nice. I must keep an eye out for some at T&V. Austere, structured Bordeaux is right up my alley (one reason for my liking for the '94s I've had that weren't dead :D).

Although I'm shocked people are actually proclaiming 2000s to be OTH!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:45 pm

This isn't the most structured wine, but the austerity hides that fact rather well.

By the way - this was bought on futures (real cheap), and so has been in the glacial cellar since release.
no avatar
User

Mark Kogos

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:16 am

Sydney Australia

by Mark Kogos » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:50 am

Anyone who thinks the 2000 is OTH must be mad. I have just opened a case of the 2000 and it is only just beginning to wake up. I doubt I will bother with another until the end of next year.
Miss dhem Saints.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:09 am

Most of the 2000 naysayers have commented that the fruit is thin/fading. A few others have had different experiences, but the OTH crowd is so far winning the day. I look at it as an opportunity to pick some up cheap.
no avatar
User

Mark Kogos

Rank

Ultra geek

Sydney Australia

by Mark Kogos » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:55 am

Whilst I enjoyed the wine, I do think it has closed down for the time being. Personally I would not expect it to open up again for another 2-4 years.
Miss dhem Saints.
no avatar
User

Jacques Levy

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:00 pm

NY

by Jacques Levy » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:53 am

Mark Kogos wrote:Anyone who thinks the 2000 is OTH must be mad. I have just opened a case of the 2000 and it is only just beginning to wake up. I doubt I will bother with another until the end of next year.

The fruit is thin and fading. I may be mad, but that's what I tasted about a month ago. I wish it were still sleeping, I have another ten bottles.

David M. Bueker wrote:Most of the 2000 naysayers have commented that the fruit is thin/fading. A few others have had different experiences, but the OTH crowd is so far winning the day. I look at it as an opportunity to pick some up cheap.

David, as you can see, I have some that I would love to offload. pm me if you're interested.
Best Regards

Jacques
no avatar
User

Mark Kogos

Rank

Ultra geek

Sydney Australia

by Mark Kogos » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:01 am

My apologises for calling you mad. Thin however was not my recollection of this wine. Best thing to do is grab another bottle out of the cellar and give it another go :D I will report back.
Miss dhem Saints.