The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

BTN: Four from De Glazen Toren

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

BTN: Four from De Glazen Toren

by Saina » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:01 pm

De Glazen Toren Jan de Lichte 7% abv

A wheat beer - one of Belgium's strongest? A refreshing and obviously wheaty and citrussy aroma that doesn't have any of that estery banana/bubblegum aroma that the German wheat beers tend to have. It is dry and crisp. The only minus for me is slight heat on the finish. Despite that, I think this was very nice.

De Glazen Toren Ondineke 8,5% abv

A tripel. Some rather nice maltiness, but very perfumed and flowery. Despite some savoury edges, the scent did seem to promise much, much sweetness. Gladly the palate was dry compared to what I expected. Full bodied, nicely hoppy, a very enjoyable grapefruit finish.

De Glazen Toren Saison d'Erpe-Mere 6,9 abv

Once again, a bit too floral, honeyed and perfumed for my taste, but nicely dry and hoppy. I still find the Dupont a modern Saison more to my taste, but this was a nice alternative. Also quite full bodied but dry, very hoppy and crisp. Nice stuff!

De Glazen Toren Cuvée Angelique 8,3% abv

The dubbel. I have found the dubbel the most difficult style of beer to get into, and I still don't think I like it. I find them too often sweet and simple and without enough refreshing notes. Well, on the scent, this was a rather usual dubbel except not so syrupy. But the palate, as with the whole range, was drier than expected and I liked that. It was full bodied, decently hoppy and with better balance than most dubbels I have had. Good. But not good enough to make me convinced of this style when at the same price I can try so many better beers!

Overall impressions: It seems a good brewer though I hadn't heard of it before. I like how the palate always is dry and crisp with these beers - but I do find it a bit of a shock after the sweet scents! There seems to be a discontinuity between the scent and the taste. So, very good beers, but not the best I have experienced from Belgium.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:25 am

Finger Lakes, New York

Re: BTN: Four from De Glazen Toren

by Keith M » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:24 pm

Very nice report, Otto--had never heard of this brewer.

Otto Nieminen wrote:A refreshing and obviously wheaty and citrussy aroma that doesn't have any of that estery banana/bubblegum aroma that the German wheat beers tend to have.

Do you know if this is a function of the yeast strains used in German versus Belgian wheatbeers--or is is something about the brewing/production process that yields that banana/bubblegum aroma?
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

Re: BTN: Four from De Glazen Toren

by Saina » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:32 pm

Keith M wrote:Very nice report, Otto--had never heard of this brewer.

Otto Nieminen wrote:A refreshing and obviously wheaty and citrussy aroma that doesn't have any of that estery banana/bubblegum aroma that the German wheat beers tend to have.

Do you know if this is a function of the yeast strains used in German versus Belgian wheatbeers--or is is something about the brewing/production process that yields that banana/bubblegum aroma?

Thanks Keith. If they already aren't, I think the Shelton Brothers soon will import to the US! They always seem to find all the excellent stuff. IIRC, this brewery was created only in 2004 so it isn't strange that I hadn't heard about it before...

My boss from the bookshop, who also imports beers to Finland, thinks that it is the yeasts. I haven't read or heard any other confirmation of it though. But it would make sense: the Germans often smell like Crap Beajolais to me - and wasn't that caused by some Lalvin strain?
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.