The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Is it wine evolution, bottle or palate variation?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

WTN: Is it wine evolution, bottle or palate variation?

by Tim York » Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:56 pm

Château St-Pierre – Pomerol – 1990 – Alc.12.5%

In May 2007, I wrote the following about this one in reviewing a series of different Merlot based wines.

The one disappointment. In its youth this wine got a Decanter award and previous bottles were very enjoyable. However this one had become over-ripe and somewhat cloying and was losing focus. I regret not having drunk this last bottle a few years ago.

I was wrong about that being the last bottle and with some trepidation I brought up this one to accompany this evening’s rabbit dish. A leaky cork, level at the bottom of the neck and distinctly brown tints on pouring did not improve my confidence.

N: Complex and lively with a certain fruity roundness exalted by floral notes (mainly violet) and some forest floor (with noticeable notes of cèpes/porcini – what are these mushrooms called in English?).
P: Quite full bodied and round with a firm bass (to borrow a musical analogy) but also with some brightness in the treble from some fine smooth acidity and with lots of complexity from similar aromas to those of the nose complemented by some fine old book, tar touches and tangy structure towards the finish. Length was adequate and maybe the complexity was coming out of separate stands rather than being finely integrated but this bottle was full of interest and not at all cloying; 16.5/20+.

As to my question in the title line, it was rhetorical. I don’t know the answer.
Tim York
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

Re: WTN: Is it wine evolution, bottle or palate variation?

by John Treder » Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:33 pm

When I ask myself a question like that and can't answer myself, I tell myself that the answer is most likely YES.

John
John in the wine county