The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Cellar options: those pesky pinot noir bottles

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Cellar options: those pesky pinot noir bottles

by Jenise » Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:25 pm

Now that our cellar mix seems to have stabilized to a large degree, Bob and I are going to rebuild the portions of our cellar devoted to what we just call "fat bottles"--the typical bottle type of rhones, many domestic syrahs and pinot noirs from anywhere--because said bottles in the X-box configuration we built, where bottles can stack four-five high up the center is too unsteady. We currently put wads of non-skid rubber matting (the nubby kind you could line a shelf with or put under a rug to keep it from slip-sliding away) under the necks of bottles to help support many bottle necks, but more than a couple times bottles have come sliding out toward me when I've tried to free up a bottle nearer the bottom.

But we don't know exactly what to build instead. We don't wish, and frankly can't afford to squander the space required, for single bottle racks. We ARE thinking of building short, wide shelves slashed on the diagonal to divide each in two, wherein the bottles would be stacked two or no more than three high in the deepest portion. An alternative to that would be simple rectangles where the bottles would be maxed at two high.

Any thoughts, comments or other solutions that have worked for you?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

Re: Cellar options: those pesky pinot noir bottles

by Daniel Rogov » Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:39 pm

Jenise, Hi....

Years ago I lost a dozen fine red Burgundies to just that problem. Since then no problem....rectangular box-shaped shelving with a very slight angle towards the rear and store the bottles bottom up. To be sure of easy identification, sticky labels on the bottom of each bottle with the coded name and vintage year of the wine.

If designing now and if you're in an earthquake prone area also think of removeable wire bands across each storage compartment. May not help when the "big one" comes but will surely do the trick in up to 6.5 Richter.

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:49 pm

Jenise
I guess it depends on the quantity. For less than (say) two dozen, I'd be looking at keeping them in wine boxes / cases. Easy to find, easy enough to get to. However if you're looking at 4+ dozen, then something more bespoke is justified.

regards

Ian
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:09 pm

I bought and assembled wine racks that I loved and were quite versatile. I would have sworn I got them from Wine Enthusiast years ago. I just went to their site and they are not in evidence.

They were individual bottle racks - each of the corners of the individual cubicles was a square wooden dowel with grooves in the end for connecting metal slats. Very stable and it held magnums, too.

Anybody know what I'm talking about? (I clearly don't).
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:18 pm

Ian Sutton wrote:Jenise
I guess it depends on the quantity. For less than (say) two dozen, I'd be looking at keeping them in wine boxes / cases. Easy to find, easy enough to get to. However if you're looking at 4+ dozen, then something more bespoke is justified.

regards

Ian

Ian, it's more several hundred bottles of each, currently too much new world pinot and too little Rhone but even when the details shift to their ideal proportions we're probably looking at 400-500 bottles.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:40 pm

ChefJCarey wrote:I bought and assembled wine racks that I loved and were quite versatile. I would have sworn I got them from Wine Enthusiast years ago. I just went to their site and they are not in evidence.

They were individual bottle racks - each of the corners of the individual cubicles was a square wooden dowel with grooves in the end for connecting metal slats. Very stable and it held magnums, too.

Anybody know what I'm talking about? (I clearly don't).

I've seen what you're talking about, though admittedly (and with much complaint from owners) sized more suitably for Bordeaux than Burgundy. Even when the bottles fit, labels get scraped and such. Still, even if improvements have been
made in that arena, that kind of racking wouldn't work in my space and would store a whole lot less bottles. We've got room for about 2000 and are currently using just about every inch of it.
no avatar
User

Anders Källberg

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:48 am

Stockholm, Sweden

by Anders Källberg » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:50 pm

Ian Sutton wrote:regards

Ian

Jeepers, Ian, is that what you get to look like after (too) many bottles of Spanna??!! If so, perhaps I'd better let you keep my bottle of Vallana Spanna... (No, just kidding!)
Cheers,
Anders
no avatar
User

Steve Slatcher

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:51 am

Manchester, England

by Steve Slatcher » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:12 am

Jenise wrote:We currently put wads of non-skid rubber matting (the nubby kind you could line a shelf with or put under a rug to keep it from slip-sliding away) under the necks of bottles to help support many bottle necks, but more than a couple times bottles have come sliding out toward me when I've tried to free up a bottle nearer the bottom.

After putting cling film around some bottles to help preserve lables, I discovered this had the additional advantage of vastly increasing the friction between bottles. They don't slide anywhere now.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:40 am

Chef,
the racks you describe sound like the "Bordex" style, though the ones I have don't do well with fat bottles (ok with standard Burgundy, but not with heavier bottles), much less magnums, so you must have had a different series of the same. Both those and the "black tie" (metal grid racking from Wine Enthusiast) are hell on labels, but I'm drinking the wine so really don't care about nicks.

I have the ultimate hodgepodge system. In my cellar I've got 2 sets of the black tie, a tower of the Bordex, and a sturdy old wire rack that holds bigger bottomed bottles. Then there is a modular rack I put together behind a support beam (half bottles in the middle), a rack I built for halves, and a homemade bin storage. To add to the " hodgepodgnacity " I have a stack of Bordeaux wooden cases, and another stack of plastic milk crates.

If you're not really worried about looks, it's quite easy to make your own bin storage. Especially if designed for a specific type of bottle. I had an odd space, just took 2 2X8s, attached 1/4" plywood back, and put in crosspieces as braces/dividers.
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:27 am

Well, I've pared my cellar down to about 20 cases and everything I have is in temperature controlled wine coolers now. But, in Memphis I had a "real" below ground cellar where the year-round temp averaged 55-60 degrees and humidity around 75%. Yeah, Dale I think I had a version of what you're talking about.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:20 pm

Jenise, I think Daniel said the key thing in his post: tilt the entire X towards the back.