The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: '04 Tobin James Refosco

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

WTN: '04 Tobin James Refosco

by Carl Eppig » Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:47 pm

2004 Tobin James, James Gang Reserve, Paso Robles, Refosco ($48 U.S.). Alcohol level: 14.8%. It gives the eye a very dark purply red color. A ton or so of very ripe fruit hits the nose and tongue tip. Ripe stone fruit including plums and peaches with a strong hint of almond add the complexity with the two vineyard Paso dirt that course the palate. The finish lingers and lingers.

We matched it with sliced charcoal broiled sirloin steak cooked over mesquite chips, eggplant salad, and corn of the cob. It was a simply wonderful Labor Day Weekend meal.
no avatar
User

SteveEdmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:05 am

Berkeley, CA

Re: WTN: '04 Tobin James Refosco

by SteveEdmunds » Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:16 pm

OK, wait... first, is it really Refosco? (Because if it's Mondeuse, it ain't Refosco) Second...$48? In this market? :roll:
I don't know just how I'm supposed to play this scene, but I ain't afraid to learn...
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:22 am

Steve Edmunds wrote:OK, wait... first, is it really Refosco? (Because if it's Mondeuse, it ain't Refosco) Second...$48? In this market? :roll:

Steve, there are suppose to be two Rofosco vineyards in the Paso Robles area. We have belonged to the TJ wine club for many years. We get eight bottles two time a year for $150 plus S&H. It once was $110 with free shipping. The retail and our additional orders run well over two times the cost of the shipments. This one came in fall '06 shipment. We did not order any additional at $48! As an aside it does not resemble an Italian even a well Northern Italian wine in any way.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:21 am

Is it Roscoe? :roll: I am worth well over $48. I think $51.50 at least.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.