The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Sekt and Sauvignon

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Sekt and Sauvignon

by Dale Williams » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:51 am

Well, after a great night of wines where I had to spit, and a horrendous (but fun!) lunch where I was thankful to spit, I was happy to have a night when I could consume alcohol secure in the knowledge I wasn't driving. Betsy's niece had expressed interest in helping make fresh pasta again, so we invited the family. As they worked on the pasta, I had prepared an appetizer to see us through till late dinner (nephew's soccer practice).
The smoked trout mousse (this was just trout, butter, cream, lime juice, hot sauce, and chives) went well with the 2002 von Nell "Eleonora" Halbtrocken Riesling Sekt . Light sweetness, green apples and honeysuckle blossoms, a little damp earth on finish. Not very complex, but certainly enjoyed by all. B+

The main course was a Ligurian style lasagna - just sheets of boiled pasta layered with ricotta and pesto. Being out of Pigato, I went with a 2008 Clos Roche Blanche Touraine Sauvignon #2. Certainly a good bottle of SB, but though I've heard great things about this vintage this didn't make me immediately buy more, as I have most vintages. Light, good citrus fruit with just a hint of gooseberry and grass. Good acidity, a little mineral. B/B+ -certainly a good value, but not the insane value this is for my tastes most vintages. Though it could be the match or palate fatigue after 30 wines in previous 24 hours.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency. 
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

Re: WTN: Sekt and Sauvignon

by Salil » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:35 am

Dale Williams wrote:Though it could be the match or palate fatigue after 30 wines in previous 24 hours.

Well, it must also be a bit hard to follow wines like Coche-Dury, Brucke, old Bordeaux and super-great-value mid-90s scoring Spanish wines. ;)

Nice note on that Sekt - I've had one of the von Nell ones before from Chambers (can't remember if that's the one, but it was around $15), but liked it a lot.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: WTN: Sekt and Sauvignon

by Dale Williams » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:47 am

I've had another 02 von Nell, something like "Ludovic" that was more of a Brut. Good, but I give this a slight edge