The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Quinta do Alqueve Fernão Pires 2004

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: Quinta do Alqueve Fernão Pires 2004

by Saina » Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:31 pm

Quinta do Alqueve Fernão Pires 2004 14% abv; c.18€ (privately bought, not through our pathetic monopoly).

The colour is rather evolved looking. The nose is full on and with lots of stuffing. There is a curiously prominent note of pine kernels - but do not get me wrong: this is not like Retsina! There is also a lovely sea-breeze, saline quality. The palate is rather heavy, cumbersome, the alcohol doesn't show through but I guess that with 12% I would like this more as it wouldn't be so heavy. There are lovely mineral hints amongst the copious fruit. But the most curious thing is the aftertaste. It goes on and on and on. In fact, I wouldn't talk so much of an aftertaste, but of the taste itself continuing forever. Very strange. A bit too intense for me, infact: I would love to keep the divinely high acidity, the minerality, but I'd want the fruit and thickness cut in half. Nice stuff anyway. Certainly the best Portuguese white I've tasted (until next Tuesday I would guess when I'll get white Colares!).

-Otto-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Quinta do Alqueve Fernão Pires 2004

by Jenise » Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:05 am

Otto, until you said "Certainly the best Portuguese white" I didn't realize I was reading about a white wine. What's the grape(s) involved?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

Re: WTN: Quinta do Alqueve Fernão Pires 2004

by Saina » Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:13 pm

Jenise wrote:Otto, until you said "Certainly the best Portuguese white" I didn't realize I was reading about a white wine. What's the grape(s) involved?

Jenise, Fernão Pires is the grape! It's a grape I'd like to get better acquainted with on the basis of the few varietal wines I've had.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.