The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Super CDR, Great QPR, Domaine de Solitude 2007

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Peter Finkelstein

Rank

Cellar rat

Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:05 pm

Super CDR, Great QPR, Domaine de Solitude 2007

by Peter Finkelstein » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:20 pm

Hi Guys......

Tasted a huge winner this week.

Domaine de Solitude 2007 Cotes du Rhone

Price between $13 and $16 depending on your retailer.

We bought this as we felt obligated to do so since we were given an excellent allocation of the Chateauneuf. We were shocked to taste the depth of this CDR. Big, full bodied with simply tons of fruit. The wine softened up after about 15 minutes open. This was/is a surprise!

Peter
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

Re: Super CDR, Great QPR, Domaine de Solitude 2007

by Bob Henrick » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:54 pm

Peter Finkelstein wrote:Hi Guys......

We bought this as we felt obligated to do so since we were given an excellent allocation of the Chateauneuf. We were shocked to taste the depth of this CDR. Big, full bodied with simply tons of fruit. The wine softened up after about 15 minutes open. This was/is a surprise!

Peter

Hi Peter, I will look for this wine, but am not sure that I have seen it on local shelves before. BTW, you might want to put a disclaimer beside your sig, that identifies you as ITB.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:28 am

Peter - while I am sure the community does appreciate being told about good QPR wines, you are essentially advertising. Please stop doing that.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Peter Finkelstein

Rank

Cellar rat

by Peter Finkelstein » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:18 pm

David.....

are you saying that ANY retailer who writes that he likes a wine is advertising? If so it is ridiculous!

Peter
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:17 pm

If he is selling it then yes...if you want to make it explicit that you are a merchant and have a financial interest then fine (as long as infrequent).
no avatar
User

Peter Finkelstein

Rank

Cellar rat

by Peter Finkelstein » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:39 pm

So david....

If I write that I tasted KJ Chardonnay and sayI was surprised that I liked it, my motives are automatically suspect, because since I work for a retail store I can't possibly be objective, and the only reason I would tell people that I like a wine is because I have an alterior motive. So by the same sandards, if I write that I hated the KJ, its because I have other alterior motives. Quite frankly what happened to giving people the benefit of a doubt? How am I supposed to be "selling" when I don't identify the store, the location, the phone number, the web site, or ask for EMail addresses.

Right now I am also a columnist for Chesapeake Flavor Magazine, and I am on the tasting pannel of a major wine magazine but I am being castigated and insulted here because my employer is a retailer.

Peter
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:45 pm

Peter Finkelstein wrote:So david....

If I write that I tasted KJ Chardonnay and sayI was surprised that I liked it, my motives are automatically suspect, because since I work for a retail store I can't possibly be objective, and the only reason I would tell people that I like a wine is because I have an ulterior motive.

Pretty much. Besides, everybody knows the KJ Chard is crap. Why would anybody buy from a retailer that likes it?
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:09 pm

Peter -

I don't think there's a problem with you sharing your opinion here. That's welcome, particularly given that you're likely to have access to a lot of interesting wines. In the interests of full disclosure, though, I think an explicit disclaimer that you work for a retailer who sells it would be good.

That said, I'll keep an eye out for the Dom. de Solitude. Sounds like another winner among the '07 CdR's.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:48 pm

I think this is ridiculous. Peter wasn't hawking anything here. Seems to me like somebody's got a bone to pick.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

Jon Leifer

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:34 pm

by Jon Leifer » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:57 pm

Would agree with Chef JC..Peter is pretty well known as being ITB and has been ITB for years, no secret..,,He is not, however, the distributor or importer of this wine and he didn't ask anyone to buy it from his store..This wine is pretty widely available so you can buy it from all sorts of sources..
I for one have enjoyed this CnDP over the years, have never tried one of their CDR's..wd be tempted to try some based on Peter's post and wd buy it locally so ,at least in my case, not one nickel would find its way into his pockets from my purchase..

Peter..keep the wine police happy, tack on an ITB disclaimer to your emails..and please do keep your tasting notes coming
Jon
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:07 am

Peter Finkelstein wrote:Hi Guys......

Thanks for the tip Peter. (my bolding above)
no avatar
User

Doug Levens

Rank

Cellar rat

Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:38 pm

by Doug Levens » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:19 pm

I have no problem with retailers posting tasting notes, BUT there needs to be transparency that it is a wine that they stock. Its a fine line and tough for the retailers, but when I first read the note I got the same feeling as David. I am not saying or implying that Peter should not post here, but I think that retailers should put a disclaimer with their notes.
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:12 pm

What the hell?

We bought this as we felt obligated to do so since we were given an excellent allocation of the Chateauneuf.

If that isn't plain disclaimer that someone is in the business I don't know what the hell is.

Thanks for the tasting note, man.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

Clint Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:39 am

Seattle, WA

by Clint Hall » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:19 pm

I couldn't agree more that it's best to post an upfront ITB disclaimer. Peter tried to do that when he wrote "we bought this...[because] we were given an exellent allocation of the Chateauneuf...."

BTW, the wine has one Cellar-Tracker entry, with a score of 88 and a "good value at $12" comment. I'll look for it.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:33 pm

I have no problem with retailers (or importers, distributors, winemakers,etc) posting notes, as long as it's clear the affiliation. I think Peter's post did show he was ITB, but a straight disclaimer would be even better. I'm afraid (sorry if this is too blunt) that Peter carries some baggage. In my 10 years or so of posting on wine fora, I've seen a lot of threads about shilling. Shall we say Peter figures disproportionally in those threads? So easy to see how this went the wrong way quickly.

Peter, speaking solely for myself, I'm happy to have you post TN on wines you like. But a disclaimer on wines you sell,and some occasional notes on wines you don't sell, would make me pay more attention. I do understand now you are a retailer, so less of a conflict that as a rep of a distributor or importer, but still.....
I'm scarcely the first person to say this
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:15 am

Well said Dale. I too would welcome more broad participation with Peter. For the record I enjoyed meeting Peter at a Raleigh wine bar several years ago.
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:57 pm

I have an interest in a wine store, Peter knows as well as I do how to avoid any hint of a conflict of interest when posting.