The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Bogle Old Vine Zin

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Alan Wolfe

Rank

On Time Out status

Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:34 am

West Virginia

Bogle Old Vine Zin

by Alan Wolfe » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:17 am

2003 Bogle Vineyards Old Vine Zinfandel, California appellation, 14.5% ABV, price unknown. Packaged in a tall, antique green bordeaux style bottle and distinctive label. I've enjoyed Bogle Petite Syrah in the past and thought I would give this a try, in part probably because it was attractively priced although I don't remember what the price was. The label says 14.5% ABV and it was at least that. It tasted more like 16% and was woefully out of balance. Extremely intense fruit was over-extracted and over ripe to the point that it tasted like raisins. I am tolerant of bitterness generally, but this wine had an unpleasant and unusually bitter finish. We didn't like it and would not purchase it again.
no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:01 pm

Atchison, KS

Re: Bogle Old Vine Zin

by Ryan M » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:50 am

I had the 2002 in 2004, and found it quite wonderful, with the alcohol in balance. Perhaps the fruit had faded and left the alc exposed? I certainly wouldn't give up on the wine before trying a more recent vintage.
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:53 am

Yeah but an `03 Old Vine Zin should not have changed that much surely?
Should have plenty of stuffing still eh.
no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:01 pm

Atchison, KS

by Ryan M » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:06 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Yeah but an `03 Old Vine Zin should not have changed that much surely?
Should have plenty of stuffing still eh.

One certainly would expect so, but I confess that I have never thought of Zin as a wine for aging, but that perhaps because I have not been exposed to age-worthy examples. All of things I expect a Cali Zin would do with age, I'd rather go for a mature Napa Cab.
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:55 pm

I've found this wine to vary in the past. I've had a couple of bottles I liked but more often they're too confected for my taste. Don't know if this is vintage variation or bottle variation or what.

I generally find I like their "Phantom" bottling and their chenin blanc more than the zin.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:00 am

I've tried this wine once-don;t remember the vintage-and my thought was "Alcoholic Welch's Grape Juice" Very confected. If the sweet fruit faded, not sure what would be left????
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Jon Leifer

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:34 pm

by Jon Leifer » Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:38 pm

I like the Bogle OV zins, as well as their PS , Phantom and PN..Not a big fan of their whites tho I haven't tried a Bogle Chenin as yet. I find, however, that you can't let the zin disappear on you in the cellar..ie, you need to drink em young, they don't age well,,get kinda raisiny.. I find them to be at their best up to 4 yrs out, haven't cared for the ones that I drank that were 5 yrs old or older.
Jon
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:03 pm

Bogle is not famous for their consistency year to year. It can be a decent qpr some years, just considered a quaffer IMHO.