The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Best wine QPR I've had so far this year

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

WTN: Best wine QPR I've had so far this year

by Salil » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:15 pm

A slight follow-up from that thread Jenise posted the note on the Ch. Mylord (and Garagiste's massive hype) in. While Garagiste does go extravagantly over the top in their emails/prose on a regular basis, every now and then they really hit it out of the park and leave you wondering "Why the hell did I not buy a case of this?"

This is one of those wines - the Domaine La Blaque Coteaux de Pierrevert 2007.

The email came several months ago with typically lavish Garagiste praise; calling them the Chave of the Pierrevert, then making mention of Cornas and Cote-Rotie and the really scary thing is that this actually lives up to some of the hype (not the Chave comment, but the rest).

Right now smelling this I'm inclined to think of a slightly ripe Northern Rhone or a northern Cali Syrah (and I mean that in a VERY good way). Phenomenal aromatics. Starts out with a ton of ripe plum and black cherry fruit, but with some air it really opens out to show black and white pepper and faintly meaty notes as well. Medium bodied in the mouth with a range of spicy, meaty, earthy and dark fruited flavours delivered with good acidity and grippy, firm tannins on the back end. Amazing depth and complexity. This cost $12.82 plus shipping. Unreal value for money (this seriously does remind me of a much pricier Northern Rhone or North Cali Syrah), and the best wine value I've found this year by a mile.

(My only issue here is the plastic cork, a closure I hate more than any other. Between the richness of fruit and other flavours, acidity and tannin structure, this seems to have the balance and spine to last some time. Shame it won't thanks to the closure.)
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Best wine QPR I've had so far this year

by David M. Bueker » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:45 pm

Somehow a plastic plug in a wine called Pierrevert...hmm.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:36 am

Sounds good. And nice to have a fun wine at that price exhibiting real Syrah character and poise, which can be all too rare. I don't know how much has changed at the domaine in the past decade but here is a note of mine on the 96 Réserve, tasted in Feb. 2005:

1996 Domaine la Blaque Coteaux de Pierrevert “Réserve”
On open this tastes almost too mature, with pruning red fruits, some mineral on finish, and stretching thin with crinkly iron fading fruit. But, with two hours of air it gains all the depth and vigor it needs to become a thoroughly pleasing wine. It becomes: floral cherry mineral resin with some fur, minty pinot-esque woodsy orchard flavors, while broader and suppler evidencing the syrah. To my tastes this is peaking right now, so fun, so delicate, so delicious, couldn’t stop drinking and couldn’t bring myself to spit a single morsel. I paid around 10euros last month and would easily buy more at that price, but for short-term drinking, as it won’t last forever.
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Washington DC, Oregon bound

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:46 am

Sounds like a winner, I'd love to try it but I don't think I'll be getting my hands on any over here. Will keep in the back of my mind for later down the line, however!
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt
no avatar
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:55 am

Best "QPR" this year so far for me was while dining in a very "in" Tel Aviv restaurant, there being recognized by several of my readers, each of whom decided it would be a nice gesture to send a glass of wine to my table. Among those - a fine Brunello, an excellent Tuscan Merlot, a truly lovely Rioja Grand Reserva, a lovely St-Emilion red, and a superb Sauternes.

Better QPR than that one cannot ask for.

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:05 am

If only I had fans in Tel Aviv... I don't even have fans in Niagara Falls. :?
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:50 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Somehow a plastic plug in a wine called Pierrevert...hmm.

Comes with a gerbil, too. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:52 pm

Salil Benegal wrote:
The email came several months ago with typically lavish Garagiste praise; calling them the Chave of the Pierrevert, then making mention of Cornas and Cote-Rotie and the really scary thing is that this actually lives up to some of the hype (not the Chave comment, but the rest).

Of course I immediately ran to my inventory to see if I'd purchased any, and I didn't. Where exactly IS the Pierrevert, anyway, did you check it out on a map?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

by Salil » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:54 pm

Didn't look up a map, but it's apparently located in the Alpes de Haute Provence.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:13 pm

Salil Benegal wrote:Didn't look up a map, but it's apparently located in the Alpes de Haute Provence.

Which is not a bad area for syrah in my limited experience. Seems to be higher elevation and cooler than the Southern Rhone so it produces some interesting stuff. Not necessarily profound rivals to the Northern Rhone, but you don't exactly see a lot of Provencal syrah being sold anyway.