The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1999 Pavie

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: 1999 Pavie

by Jenise » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:03 pm

1999 Pavie, St. Emilion, Bordeaux

Say what you will about Michel Rolland's influence, this is a very very good wine right now. Garnet red in the glass. Very old world nose where I was honestly expecting it to smell of a wine that might have come from California, with cherries, spice and leather. Earthy, expansive mid-palate with some soft, chocolate notes in the long finish that are the only hint that this is a wine with a dominant merlot presence. Fine grained tannins leave a classy impression. At or near peak and drinking beautifully right now, I'm very happy to have a few more of these.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: 1999 Pavie

by David M. Bueker » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:07 pm

I'm shocked I tell you, shocked. I can't believe Jenise is drinking unrepentedly spoofulated wine. :twisted:

edited to add that I own the 2001 and (gasp) the 2003.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:56 am

Interesting.

You almost persuade me to go out and buy a bottle of 2001 which my local supermarket is offering. Only the price, €150, deters me.
Last edited by Tim York on Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:19 am

David M. Bueker wrote:I'm shocked I tell you, shocked. I can't believe Jenise is drinking unrepentedly spoofulated wine.

I just calls 'em as I sees 'em! And I can't say enough about the wine-food pairing of how this went with chanterelles in a cream-cognac sauce over a freshly baked vol-au-vent.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

by Salil » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:09 pm

I've only had Pavie once - the '01, served double-blind - and I really loved that wine. Glad you enjoyed the '99, that sounds really delicious.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:21 pm

Salil Benegal wrote:I've only had Pavie once - the '01, served double-blind - and I really loved that wine. Glad you enjoyed the '99, that sounds really delicious.

It was great--the spoofulation is now spoofalicious. :)
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:50 pm

Jenise wrote:It was great--the spoofulation is now spoofalicious. :)

Spoofalicious! I like that!
no avatar
User

Jacques Levy

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:00 pm

NY

by Jacques Levy » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:40 am

Jenise wrote: And I can't say enough about the wine-food pairing of how this went with chanterelles in a cream-cognac sauce over a freshly baked vol-au-vent.

OMG! Yum
Best Regards

Jacques
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:58 pm

Jacques Levy wrote:
Jenise wrote: And I can't say enough about the wine-food pairing of how this went with chanterelles in a cream-cognac sauce over a freshly baked vol-au-vent.

OMG! Yum

It was major yum. What's moe, rack of lamb, that classic pairing for Bordeaux? That followed the chanterelles but couldn't hold a candle.
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:47 pm

by Diane (Long Island) » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:25 pm

We had this wine on my birthday. It was one of several 1999 Bordeaux, and it was our favorite of the night. My friend, who brought the bottle, described it as having an old world nose and a new world palate. It was fantastic and I had it with lamb that night, but it was even better with the short ribs that some of my friends ordered.

David Bueker - you thought about coming to Long Island for this dinner....you should have :wink:
Diane
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:05 pm

Diane (Long Island) wrote:David Bueker - you thought about coming to Long Island for this dinner....you should have :wink:

There's a lot of NY area offlines I should have gone to, but I am not as young as I used to be. :wink:
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:17 pm

Diane (Long Island) wrote:We had this wine on my birthday. It was one of several 1999 Bordeaux, and it was our favorite of the night. My friend, who brought the bottle, described it as having an old world nose and a new world palate

We should share wine some day--we have very similar palates. Love your friend's description--I could have said the same thing if I'd looked at the nose and palate separately. Thing is, though some wines almost require you to, this wine was nicely integrated and in it's moment that I didn't look at it that way.